1972 Fury Filler Tube Gasket... which direction please?

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My old one was cracked and leaking... put this new one in and been fine but I havent put a lot of gas in it til yesterday and I got seepage. Looks like the ridge on the tube sits inside a space in the seal and I am not sure if I had that right. But I am not sure on the rubber seal if the rounded part faces rearward or goes in side the tank...

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnaila.jpg

RESOLVED! I did re-install the grommet and tube. Well, as the car was on an incline in the driveway I was able to spot the real culprit.... The hard line from the tank meets up with the line to the pump right under the passenger seat and that 8 inch piece of hose had a gash in it.... No idea how because I replaced that just a couple years ago...I must have been using "what I have on hand" that day because it was 3/8 hose and I found the 5/16 fits better... The gash wasn't near the clamp or hard line so I doubt that tightening that slightly large hose causes this but... Problem fixed. My fuel gauge isn't registering so I've been calculating range based on 10mpg... Ran out of gas last week after only 50 miles on ten gallons! That's 5mpg!! This explains it LOL

if you aren't using ethanol resistant hose, it can do that. it will split like a seam opened up.

RESOLVED! I did re-install the grommet and tube. Well, as the car was on an incline in the driveway I was able to spot the real culprit.... The hard line from the tank meets up with the line to the pump right under the passenger seat and that 8 inch piece of hose had a gash in it.... No idea how because I replaced that just a couple years ago...I must have been using "what I have on hand" that day because it was 3/8 hose and I found the 5/16 fits better... The gash wasn't near the clamp or hard line so I doubt that tightening that slightly large hose causes this but... Problem fixed. My fuel gauge isn't registering so I've been calculating range based on 10mpg... Ran out of gas last week after only 50 miles on ten gallons! That's 5mpg!! This explains it LOL
Congrats on the repair!
A 318 should get better than 5 mpg. Rebuild 2 bbl carb?

I think you misunderstood Ben, the 5mpg was due to the split fuel hose.

If I hadn't done so already this would definitely have me renewing that section, good find!

I'm glad Mario found the problem.
Would be interesting to know non-leak mpg.
I have 3 c-bodies... 72 Suburban with 400 v8, 72 Fury with 360 and 68 Newport with 383... all two-barrel. And I don't know if I will ever afford to fill any of these up for a test. So I just figure 10mpg, watch the odometer and always err on the side of caution. Anyone know what they get in one of these? I do know it will be skewed for me because of street sweeping every two weeks. That means startup and a little warm up, then a short drive uphill...and back the next day. I am sure those are bad mpg days!

I think with the worn 360 4bbl in my 72 Fury I get about 10mpg.
As far as fuel efficiency, my next step may be having the heads rebuilt. Blow by shows as evidence on the base of my carb.

Back