1972 polara, break light on dash stays on even if the breaks are not being pressed down

72polarbear

Reaction score
Put back in the fuse for the tail lights to turn on when the headlights are on which also turns on the light in the dashboard but while doing a test drive the break light stayed on, any ideas?

Possibly the parking brake "ON" switch has failed and grounded out, turning on the ight? Or might the parking brake be "on" a few notches and the light turns on, yet the parking brake looks to be "OFF"?

Do the "foot brakes" work normally? Do they need fluid? Does the car still stop well or has the valve the brake warning light hooks up to failed?

Just curious,
CBODY67

FULLY release the emergency brake.....
Don't say it is,,
pull the release and at the same time pull up the emergency brake pedal...

:thumbsup:

Possibly the parking brake "ON" switch has failed and grounded out, turning on the ight? Or might the parking brake be "on" a few notches and the light turns on, yet the parking brake looks to be "OFF"?

Do the "foot brakes" work normally? Do they need fluid? Does the car still stop well or has the valve the brake warning light hooks up to failed?

Just curious,
CBODY67
I’ll have to check the grounding with the switch but my brakes work well but where is the valve that the brake warning light hooks up to at? Sorry but this is my first car.

I’ll have to check the grounding with the switch but my brakes work well but where is the valve that the brake warning light hooks up to at? Sorry but this is my first car.
It's generally in the engine compartment directly below the master cylinder
Looks like this. Wire for brake light connects to the pin in the center.
PXL_20221003_170848149.jpg

Back