383 oil pressure

66furys

Reaction score
There are a coupe threads, but not conclusive. 383 owners please chime in. What kind of oil pressure are you seeing on the older engines. Mine is low at about 25 or more at cold idle, and does not come up much. I soaked the pan in diesel oil to try to loosen any crud on the screen.....no change. And, am running 5w-40 to try to raise a bit if loose bearings, but no real change. So, what are you guys reading on the old engines please. I assume the engine can survive on 25, just not great....and this is just my new stewart warner gauge, not an applied pressure gauge. thanks

My fresh overhaul on the 383 is running 60-70 on warm idle. My GTO 389 on the other hand runs 20-25 on warm idle.

How is your hot idle pressure? My brother had a car with a 318 that had imperceptible oil pressure at hot idle (verified with several gauges) and I think it ran about 25 down the road. The engine ran good and made zero noise so he just drove it. He ran it for a couple years, and the guy he sold it to ran it for a couple more before totaling it. If you aren’t going to drive/work it hard, and it runs fine otherwise, I’d run it and see where it gets you. You might try straight 30 or 40 weight oil if it doesn’t get super cold where you are, or 15-40 if you need multi-vis.
Travis..

Thanks for feedback guys, appreciate it. For now, I am going to run it....and we will see. thanks.....yes maybe straight grade to be a bit heavier.....might try that.

I run 20w50 in my 383.
Cold start gives 75-80 psi.
When really warmed up 50 to 60 psi at approx 70 mph
30 tot 40 psi at idle

In more recent decades, the old "10lbs/1000rpm" rule has been a bit discredited in modern engines with modern oils and after MPG came into the picture.

I have a factory paper service manual for a 1951 Plymouth. It plainly states that ANY oil pressure at hot idle is acceptable. Of course, there were "highway driving" oil pressure specs, too.

One other issue is that it takes horsepower to drive the oil pump. Less power to drive it via less oil pressure and less viscous motor oil, MORE power to the flywheel and to the tires.

With modern oils, "Protection" does not come with higher pressures, by observation, but from the improved base stocks and additive packages. Today, even the "worst" oil is probably better than the best oil in mid-'50s era, when the engines were designed. Back when "Pennsylvania Crude" meant something.

As long as the pressure is consistent and the engine makes no oil-related noises, keep on keeping on. When the mains sling-off too much oil, it will overload the worn oil rings and oil consumption will increase. But as long as no bearing noises, they're probably just fine and happy to be there.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Check it with another gauge.

Before you say "It's new"... I've pulled all kinds of brand new gauges from high end companies that were off "out of the box".

Like it was said above " check it with another gauge". You didn't say how many miles are on the engine. When you cleaned the pick-up did you blow it out with compressed air?

My '66 383, which was rebuilt I believe between 5 and 10 years ago, gets 60 psi at a cold fast idle (800-1000 rpm). Once fully warm it idles at about 500 and I get 30 psi. HTH.

Back