440 piston recommendations

The 346s have hardened seats but if you cut the seats for 1.81 valves you will have cut away the hardened area, the way I understand it fwiw. Unless you are using killer valve springs aggressive can or planing 100,000mi in 5 years I would not sweat the seats spend the money on guides and one piece valves. Another point to think about is that a lot of deal has been made about seats in magazines,
1. They don't want to tell you something then have it come back on them l with a bunch of ruined heads, easier to tell you worst case.
2. Most are Chevy based and GM used softer iron in low po blocks and heads, Chrysler used high nickel iron in everything, one of the reasons that you don't need a HP block/heads to build a good Mopar engine.

Also when figuring your compression height, note that your 440Source (China) rods are 6.760" in length vs the stock 6.768".

Thank you. I caught that some time ago. Every rod that I looked at was short .008. Why I don't know, but something to take into account on calculating the compression. One place virtually makes all rods, each vendor puts on their own (or not) touch. Scat, Eagle, etc. Yes the heads are very similar. I keep going in circles, add bigger valves, porting, etc and it would not be much more for aluminum heads. Alum heads are probably overkill for my project. Easier hp though?

I have dealt with the 440Source heads and had to replace the springs, retainers and locks and also had to do some cutting to clearance the pushrods.

If you do go the aluminum route, I would point towards Edelbrock or Mopar; They also will have helicoiled bolt holes where the Stealth 440Source heads do not. Also the customer service from most anywhere else doesn't make you want to drive to California to kick someones face off.

Back