64 Dodge 880 383 4 speed

Furious

Reaction score
Chrysler introduced the 833 4 speed transmission in 1964. It was available in B bodies, and the full size cars too. 1964 Chrysler 300's with 4 speeds aren't common, but they were built.
Has anyone ever seen a real, original 4 speed 1964 880?
Did Dodge ever install 413's in the 1964 880?
How about the long ram manifolds?
The certainly could have.
a 1964 880, with a 383 4 speed, or a 413 4 speed would be quite the car.

Last edited:
The Chrysler 4-speed might have been stout enough to be behind a 426HEMI, but did not shift very quickly (compared to the benchmark GM 4-speeds of the time). Possibly due to their factory shifter mechanism? I suspect that more were installed in the "Pistol Grip" era than before that?

The aluminum case TF was so much easier to deal with and make work well in a performance application. One of the reasons it could hold its own against any 4-speed car back then, especially on the drag strip. BUT an automatic trans car did not have the same feel as a manual trans car did, bsck then, in any brand. A good driver in a 4-speed car was a force to be reckoned with, usually.

I highly suspect that most of the small number of 4-speed 300s were in the letter cars, rather than in the normal 300s.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The CHP used 880 ,s in 64 and they where 413 cars . Guessing if you knew the right people you could get one? I like the hardtop wagons better for some reason . :)

DSC02213.jpg

The CHP used 880 ,s in 64 and they where 413 cars . Guessing if you knew the right people you could get one? I like the hardtop wagons better for some reason . :)

View attachment 449366
that is a beauty.
So, I wonder if any"civilian" 64 Dodge 880's were built with the 413, and did any come with the ram induction?
Imagine a 413 cross ram 4 speed 64 880 2 door hardtop.
Since the 64 300K was available with that combo, they certainly could have built them.

CBODY67 --
GM's Muncie 4-speed made its appearance in 1963, and was based on the Borg-Warner T-10. There were two versions: the close-ratio M-21 with a 2.20:1 1st gear and the wide ratio M-20 with a 2.56:1 1st. Chrysler's A-833 came out in 1964 and initially had a 23-spline input shaft (although a 18-spline version for Hemis, 426s and 440s appeared in late 1964). There were two versions of the 23-spline as well with 3.09:1 1st gears for the smaller engines and 2.66:1 for the bigger mills. The 18-spline version also has a 2.66:1 first.
I currently have a fuel-injected '65 Corvette (327 CID/375 HP), thus with the M-21 close ratio trans, and a '65 Sport Fury with the 426S (365 HP) and A-833 4-speed. This car is the virtual twin to the '65 SF I had back in 1964-67. Both of these SFs have(had) the Hurst shifter which make the A-833 just about as quick as the Muncie, although the lever throw of the MOPARs is longer than that of the Vette.
However, back in 1967, I traded that first SF for a '67 R/T with the 375 horse 440 engine and A-833 trans. This car had the Inland Steel shift lever with the reverse lock-out which I thought was like shifting a piece of spaghetti. I don't hotrod as much anymore as I did back in the '60s, but I believe the only significant difference I have encountered in driving either the Fuelie or the Sport Furys is that the Hurst linkage in the latter makes downshifting a bit more more iffy than in the Corvette.
Joe Godec

Here's a 1964 Dodge custom 880 that's owned by a friend of a friend.

It's an ex- NM state highway patrol car with the 413 engine.

IMG_3913.JPG

SpaceWagon --
An interesting comment about that '64 Dodge with the 413 being an ex-New Mexico State Police car. In 1965-66, I was going to grad school at the UNM, but my home was in Pueblo, Colorado, where I had special ordered that '65 Sport Fury with the 426S/4-speed I wrote about earlier in this thread. In those days, to keep the warranty active, regular maintenance had to be done by a Chrysler dealer, so sometime in the fall of '65 I took the SF to Lloyd McKee Chrysler-Plymouth there in Albuquerque. While it was on the rack, I noticed a NMSP 2-dr post Fury I on the next lift which I had to check out (I had a brake issue which is worth a thread all by itself). It was a 383 car with TorqueFlite and after that I took notice of all the Plymmers, but I don't recall any Dodges.
The most notable encounter I had with one was the next year when I was heading home through northern New Mexico on a typical NM 2-lane highway with the little traffic characteristic of those days. There was an old pickup chugging along going north (NM was an old truck-graveyard then) on a clear stretch so I went around him, although I didn't see the NMSP black-and-white parked on the other side. I must admit I was going a wee bit fast at that point -- it was a nice clear day, no other cars, and I was 22 -- but I didn't expect him to make a rapid U-turn as I thought he was after someone else and was surprised when he flashed his lights at me.
In fact, I was rather indignant and got out as soon as I stopped -- Big Mistake No.1. After Barney Fife put his gun back in his holster, he commenced to berate me for going too fast and passing another vehicle while he was investigating an accident on the opposite side of the road. Then came Big Mistake No. 2: "Officer, I didn't see you behind that other old truck as there always are some clunkers parked on the side around here. I was making a legal pass and you know it's reasonable to get around a slower vehicle on this kind of highway as quickly as possible. Besides, if I thought I was doing something wrong, you never would have caught me." (The Colorado line was about 15 miles away.) I'll never forget his reply: "Boy, ain't you never heard of radio?" The way he said "Boy!" was especially memorable.
Anyway, the only NMSP Mopars I ran across in those days were '65 Fury Is although by the late summer of 1965 the '64 Dodges may well have been worn out.
Joe

cannot be more than a few of those 413 cars left..........glad to see at least one survived.

Know of a 1964 880 convertible 361-2 with a 4 speed. Black with red interior too, killer car. Guy who has it is original owner.

Back