65 727 torque converter stock stall???

privatepile

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the stock stall speed is for my 65 cable shifted 727 is?? (383 4bbl originally) Anyway, I need to rebuild it and am confused as to whether the stock converter is awesome enough to burn rubber and go fast or if I should try to get a 2800 stall converter (which my friend and helper seems to have a huge crush on...) but, which also seem to be hard to come by cuz the 65 style was only used for two years and is a different size. Anyway, I'm not building a race car by any means, probably won't get past 360 horsepower (if that) on my budget, hahah, but do want to pitch the old C-body sideways on occasion. I would love anyone's input on this subject. Personally, I'd rather put the extra $ somewhere else, but if I'd be crying in the end, I'd rather pony up now... Your opinions are sought, as I am confused on this subject.

To establish the stall of what you have - set up a tachometer if you don't have one & drive the car in high gear, at around 15mph. Stab the gas but don't floor it (so it doesn't kick down) and see where the tach needle moves to. That's your flash stall speed. Then, stop dead, leave it in gear, and bring the rpms up until the rpms will no longer rise, holding the car steady with the brakes. That is your brake stall. Chances are it's soemwhere around 1900-2200 for both of those. A convertor in a heavy car is a mistake in most cases. Being that the '65 has the unique internal spline, I would leave it alone. 360hp is not going to get you sideways anyway so if you want to do that - build bigger, replace the input shaft and pump on the trans, and get a more modern convertor.

To establish the stall of what you have - set up a tachometer if you don't have one & drive the car in high gear, at around 15mph. Stab the gas but don't floor it (so it doesn't kick down) and see where the tach needle moves to. That's your flash stall speed. Then, stop dead, leave it in gear, and bring the rpms up until the rpms will no longer rise, holding the car steady with the brakes. That is your brake stall. Chances are it's soemwhere around 1900-2200 for both of those. A convertor in a heavy car is a mistake in most cases. Being that the '65 has the unique internal spline, I would leave it alone. 360hp is not going to get you sideways anyway so if you want to do that - build bigger, replace the input shaft and pump on the trans, and get a more modern convertor.

I believe the stock stall is 1900.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stock converter. Only reason I would ever change from the factory one would be due to a radical cam or steep gear. When my 65 Fury (383 auto) was stock, I had no problem smoking the tires (3.23 gears). Plenty of better places to put your money. i am actually building a trans for my 65 Belvedere (cable shift) but I am swapping out the front pump assy so that I can use the more readily available later torque converters. I am building a big block car for drag racing and will probably go with a higher than stock stall converter (eventually - as I go with the big cam and high ration gears).
Get yourself a decent cam and a set of 68 or later heads and you should be golden.

Thank you guys immensely, you really helped me lean towards what I was starting to suspect from stuff I was reading. And I have had the old gal sideways many times, the problem is that at 209 inches long she takes up two and a half lanes, hahah. Steer clear...

Back