'65 Fury Fuel tank grommet

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello!

Just pulled the gas tank on my '65 Fury 3 to replaced the float.

I noticed that the grommet for the filler tube was starting to crack, so I ordered a new one from Auto Body Specialties here in CT.

It arrived today, and it does not fit. Inside diameter on my original grommet is 1 11/16, outside diameter is 2", and the ID on the new grommet is 1 7/8 with an OD of 2 3/8.

The customer service person at ABS swears that it's the right grommet, but it's not, at least not for my car. As far as I know, the gas tank is the original tank, and all of the filler pipes, etc, are stock and original.

Anyone know where to get the correct grommet?

Chris

Old thread revival, but probably justified.

I am in the midst of evaluating a spare 65 Fury tank for sale to another member here, and read your grommet notes with semi-alarm, as I also believed all the grommets were the same (fortunately my spare tank has a grommet). I just measured a 65 Fury filltube and a 66-up filltube and the 65 is indeed smaller. I am confident that the overwhelming majority of vendors for that grommet will not know this, for this would be specific to the 65 Fury. And the aftermarket grommets would indeed fit other 65 models, so advertising it as fits 65-up is understandable.

I do not know where you would find a correct grommet other than NOS sources. I have seen cracked grommets that did not leak, but if you are concerned I would recommend getting some gasoline-resistant sealer and smearing it on the grommet and tube and then installing. Depends on how bad the cracks are, or if the grommet came apart upon removal.

Seems I replaced that grommet w/ a fuel tank swap long ago and one for my 65 Dart fit. If so, those are easily available for ~$15. The FABO site will tell you the diameter of those fill tubes.

Old thread revival, but probably justified.

I am in the midst of evaluating a spare 65 Fury tank for sale to another member here, and read your grommet notes with semi-alarm, as I also believed all the grommets were the same (fortunately my spare tank has a grommet). I just measured a 65 Fury filltube and a 66-up filltube and the 65 is indeed smaller. I am confident that the overwhelming majority of vendors for that grommet will not know this, for this would be specific to the 65 Fury. And the aftermarket grommets would indeed fit other 65 models, so advertising it as fits 65-up is understandable.

I do not know where you would find a correct grommet other than NOS sources. I have seen cracked grommets that did not leak, but if you are concerned I would recommend getting some gasoline-resistant sealer and smearing it on the grommet and tube and then installing. Depends on how bad the cracks are, or if the grommet came apart upon removal.
I, too, would have automatically assumed that all the tanks used the same grommet.
Good to let others know that.

Back