66 fury question

66furywagon

Reaction score
on my 66 fury wagon.
i need to find a manual steering metal pot rebuild kit . steering coupler.
i had it a part and regressed it .
and put it back togather .
thought it was ok no signs of wear.
well its not.
do the 66 plymouths take a different kit.

The part numbers show to be the same for all the pieces making up the coupler. I'm assuming you're talking about the coupler connecting the steering column to the gearbox. There's a store in Wisconsin that sells the kit. Can't remember their name right now. I'm sure somebody here knows them.

on my 66 fury wagon.
i need to find a manual steering metal pot rebuild kit . steering coupler.
i had it a part and regressed it .
and put it back togather .
thought it was ok no signs of wear.
well its not.
do the 66 plymouths take a different kit.

www.manciniracing.com has the rebuild kits. Their kits have the after market red rubber "service" gaskets. If you want the factory correct black rubber kit, they are available on amazon. Be sure to put plenty of grease on the parts when you put it back together as the lack of lubricant is what causes the units to wear out. The steering column shaft should be centered in the coupler when re-assembled. Adjust per the service manual. Manual available www.mymopar.com in the tools reference section for free download.

Dave

Years ago, a guy in our Mopar club (who was a front-end mechanic), noted that there was a right and not-right way to put them back together. In the "not right" way, there was play in the steering wheel, in the "right way", all was tight (as designed). I presumed then that he knew of what he talked about. I'd not seen that in the FSM, though. Any ideas?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Years ago, a guy in our Mopar club (who was a front-end mechanic), noted that there was a right and not-right way to put them back together. In the "not right" way, there was play in the steering wheel, in the "right way", all was tight (as designed). I presumed then that he knew of what he talked about. I'd not seen that in the FSM, though. Any ideas?

Just curious,
CBODY67

The parts that are internal to the coupler are the spring, pins and two segments that go on either side of the shaft. It is possible to install the segments backwards and excessive play will result. There is a good write up in the A-Body site under "Steering Coupler Rebuild" where they go into detail on the proper orientation of the parts. (Post by Cuda AL) The other thing that happens on police cruisers and other vehicles that have been landed hard after going airborne or that have had the cross member high centered is that the steering column may get pushed up towards the dash. Under the dash, the column mount is slotted to allow the column to be adjusted, if the adjustment slips, the parts inside the coupler will ride too high and displace the crimped cap on the coupler, this also can cause excessive play because the parts inside are not properly meshed with the coupler case. Usually as part of the coupler rebuild, the column will need to be disconnected and it can be adjusted to where the shaft is centered inside the coupling case so there is room for it to move either up or down without bottoming out or displacing the cap.

Dave

Back