67 300 won't start

65Coronet7165

Reaction score
Well my 300 is at a storage unit. I drove it a month ago and it started and drove fine. Filled the tank to 3/4 full and parked it. Tried to start it yesterday and today with no luck. In the past I always put Stabil in the tank during the winter but didn't have a. Chance to do this this time. I usually spray some carb cleaner down the carb, then she bumps for a second until the fuel hits the carb. No go this time. Do you think the fuel has gone bad? If so there is bout 3/4 tank of bad gas... What to do???? I do have an excuse for my negligence....I'm in recovery from oral cancer and have to have someone help me get the car out. That's why no time for the Stabil.

Well, I don't think the lack of Stabil is your problem. I have gas in my '68 300 that's probably 3 years old, and the car starts and runs fine. Have you tried some starting fluid? If you have spark the engine should fire right away with that. If you're getting nothing I would suspect no spark.

As noted, check for spark by pulling the coil wire out of the distributor, spark should jump at least 1/8" to a good ground. If that does not happen, your points may have corroded from the car sitting. You should be able to clean them up with some emory paper or a point file. Also work the throttle linkage to be sure your are getting a squirt of fuel out of the accelerator pump. Fuel in the lines and carb tends to evaporate during storage and it can take to considerable cranking to get fuel to the engine. A couple of ounces of fuel down the carb throat will speed up the process as the engine should start using this method. Might take more than one try to get fuel up. (Be sure to put the air cleaner back on so as to avoid a carb fire before attempting to start)

Dave

1 month bad fuel.... Nope
What carb is it?
Does it even attempt to start or act like nothing is even firing???
2 stroke fuel is your best option to use versus a dry chemical cleaner after sitting as well. SURE it's flammable! But your spraying away ANY lubrication on anything & everything which is not good

Back