NOT MINE 67 CHRYSLR NEW YORKER on BaT

WSP

Reaction score
No Reserve: 1967 Chrysler New Yorker Hardtop Sedan
1706027883337.png

Seller even admits it's a 'Money Pit' in the comments. I just deciphered the 2023 repair bills:
No dates on the repair invoices but BaT sez 2023.

$4,600.50 440 Engine Assy (Engine Bearings Knocking) @87,717 miles, Invoice state's "Removed and replaced engine assembly" no mention of if it's the correct numbers matching engine (TNT) or a re-man. No mention other than BaT "The engine was rebuilt in 2023 by J&E Auto Repair of Richmond, California" on who did the rebuild but invoice doesn't list itemized engine parts just a R&R engine assembly.

Then in 3 miles @87,720 miles The transmission went (1st burnout?)
$1,275.00 Trans Assy + Flush $550.00

Heck I'm going back into business if I can find suckers to pay this much for a 'Brake Clean" (yes and I know they a Budd Disc's)
From the Invoice:
Brakes Old
$120.00 To 'clean' rear brake shoes...
$195.00 To 'clean' front pads system...

Oh well here's the VIN & FT:

1706030989767.png

1706031018983.png

Go to BaT for the rest of pictures & invoices (and let's see what the comments turn into)

Seller even admits it's a 'Money Pit' in the comments. I just deciphered the 2023 repair bills:
No dates on the repair invoices but BaT sez 2023.

$4,600.50 440 Engine Assy (Engine Bearings Knocking) @87,717 miles, Invoice state's "Removed and replaced engine assembly" no mention of if it's the correct numbers matching engine (TNT) or a re-man. No mention other than BaT "The engine was rebuilt in 2023 by J&E Auto Repair of Richmond, California" on who did the rebuild but invoice doesn't list itemized engine parts just a R&R engine assembly.

Then in 3 miles @87,720 miles The transmission went (1st burnout?)
$1,275.00 Trans Assy + Flush $550.00

Heck I'm going back into business if I can find suckers to pay this much for a 'Brake Clean" (yes and I know they a Budd Disc's)
From the Invoice:
Brakes Old
$120.00 To 'clean' rear brake shoes...
$195.00 To 'clean' front pads system...

Oh well here's the VIN & FT:

View attachment 640044

View attachment 640045

Go to BaT for the rest of pictures & invoices (and let's see what the comments turn into)

I looked over his bill also. I didn't see anything there that said the heads were rebuilt. I just rebuilt the heads to my 67 410FE and they needed now exhaust seats for sure and new guides. I had a full set of NOS exhaust valves and so had the shop replace all the valves, guides, seats, and springs. That was $1100. I also didn't see anything in the bill that said the engine was rebuilt. Bored? I didn't. In fact crap receipt if you ask me. When my 390 was rebuilt the receipt had lines for bored specs, all crank specs and work, resizing of rods and specs, balancing, and assembly so you knew exactly what was done to the engine on one side and parts on the other side. This receipt has nothing beyond parts used. Note on trans receipt windows not working?

This seller clearly doesn't look like he is able to do any work on his car given some of the very simple items here that we all do. The first receipt on lights was a waste. He should have asked Big John how to straighten that out. To me it looks like J&E Auto repair saw a blank check to handle everything here. You know if you can't do much of the work yourself one really should not get involved with these cars unless they have very deep pocket book like Leno.

I like what I see. It is a very decent grade 3 exterior and slightly better interior. Tires and exhaust suck. Yet with what maybe a re-ring and re-bearing on the engine and no head work why would I consider it? The rest of my 410 is getting rebuilt the right way right now for under $3k since I have done some of the work and had all the internal parts for the last 10 years. This New Yorker is just 20 miles north of me but tomorrow I'll drive past that to Napa to look at a 72 wagon which has an 80% chance I'll buy it so too bad New Yorker.

Shot his New Yorker at the old Mare Island Naval Shipyard and I know this exact parking lot.

Yeah this one maybe a one to watch as to how the comments go, churn & burn or all cheerleading?
We'll see if anyone asks if it's a number matching engine block, or were they only date coded in 1967?
My money is on re-manufactured who knows what block & heads.

We will find out as I just asked that question. I'm not a fan of BaT since most commenters like to slap each other on the back. They don't like people asking hard questions as I have learned in the past when I have. Told them that if I were to spend 10K on a car you better believe I will damn well ask hard questions and expect answers.

I wonder when the odometer was replaced? It read 87717 when the engine was replaced. Now it reads 09136. That dose not add up with the owner stating its only been driven 500 miles.

I wonder when the odometer was replaced? It read 87717 when the engine was replaced. Now it reads 09136. That dose not add up with the owner stating its only been driven 500 miles.
Just today someone asked that very 'hardball' question... from comment: :Also take note that the two leftmost numerals of the odometer are askew, a sign of possible tampering. It is surprising that in the twelve to 14 months between the engine work, Oct. 2022, and the photo, the car added 21,000 miles to the odometer."

I noticed some scratches on the plastic speedometer bezel and in the old daze that was a big red flag as to odometer tampering via the 6 O'clock newz, I'd had heard stories of guys that could flip the numbers back with just a old style wire coat hanger, then there were some that would drill a very small hole... I never eye witness any of these tactics and just put it to old guy garage tales... But who knows maybe someone had the idea to spin this one back 'old style'.

1967 Chrysler New Yorker Hardtop Sedan Speedometer.Bezel Scratches.jpg

Seller did answer the question about the engine as being sent out "They sent it out to a third party company".
But I take it from the B-body guys forum 1967 didn't have any VIN on the block so who knows what happened, although I really doubt a re-man company has many 440's in stock waiting to go but there still is the motor home factor and the block casting code would need to be eyeballed.

Comment: "I got quoted $200 per door to restore them to original" about the door speakers... $800 ouch.

Funny comment of the day: "Noticing some rubber stripes on the pavement, were those provided by the 440 and Cooper raised whites? Whew"... Yeah that was in the 3 miles before the Transmission R&R...

:rofl:

My '65 New Yorker also had some knocking in the engine. I removed the manual fuel pump and pushrod, and went with an electronic fuel pump. That solved the problem, no more knocking!

The car's location: Vallejo, California 94591

Bidding ends Monday 3 pm. Only 2 bids right now, $4k.

My '65 New Yorker also had some knocking in the engine. I removed the manual fuel pump and pushrod, and went with an electronic fuel pump. That solved the problem, no more knocking!
Yeah that's the problem with these 'newbies' that have no mechanical skills or a 'ear' for mechanical noises, they are ripe fodder for rip off garages. It goes both ways thou, on my 1968 Plymouth Fury III 4dr sedan, I was introduced to the owner by a motorcycling friend of mine which just happened to be a fellow salesman of the Fury III's owner and when I went to look at it and get it started because the battery was flat from sitting for a long time, on the fire up the 318 had a bled down lifter that was rapping and I just shook my head and went to him "oh boy that's bad" Laff rolled away with the car for $100.00, 100k+ mileage but body had only 1 small dent by the RR dogleg, 2 brand new studded snow tires on the back with fairly new fronts, and a interior that hadn't been cleaned since day one (cigar smoker) A oil and filter(s) change, tune up with wires and a long high speed road trip all the way down the east coast to Key West and the engine quieted up nicely!

:lol::thumbsup:

Bids up to 5k now with the seller explaining about the mileage and engine rebuilder/shop with pictures of the rebuilt long block before it went back into the car. It has what looks like heat tags on the cylinder heads, but doesn't look to have the steel head gaskets and a silicon gooped up oil pan (Nicks Garage pet peeve).
Good to see the seller communicating.

Just today someone asked that very 'hardball' question... from comment: :Also take note that the two leftmost numerals of the odometer are askew, a sign of possible tampering. It is surprising that in the twelve to 14 months between the engine work, Oct. 2022, and the photo, the car added 21,000 miles to the odometer."

I noticed some scratches on the plastic speedometer bezel and in the old daze that was a big red flag as to odometer tampering via the 6 O'clock newz, I'd had heard stories of guys that could flip the numbers back with just a old style wire coat hanger, then there were some that would drill a very small hole... I never eye witness any of these tactics and just put it to old guy garage tales... But who knows maybe someone had the idea to spin this one back 'old style'.

View attachment 640359

Seller did answer the question about the engine as being sent out "They sent it out to a third party company".
But I take it from the B-body guys forum 1967 didn't have any VIN on the block so who knows what happened, although I really doubt a re-man company has many 440's in stock waiting to go but there still is the motor home factor and the block casting code would need to be eyeballed.

Comment: "I got quoted $200 per door to restore them to original" about the door speakers... $800 ouch.

Funny comment of the day: "Noticing some rubber stripes on the pavement, were those provided by the 440 and Cooper raised whites? Whew"... Yeah that was in the 3 miles before the Transmission R&R...

:rofl:
Hi I’m Craven on BaT whew

Sold on 1/29/24 for $8,901

Above $5k there were 4 bidders, and above $7k only 2.

Wow, that seems like a good price for that car, especially if all the reported work on the car is up to snuff and can keep the new owner's expenses to a minimum.

A many of you have seen, my nice '65 New Yorker with 58K miles cost me only $3600 just 2 years ago. But as nice as it was, I still spent another 6K+ and countless enjoyable hours fixing it up. Little things add up, as you all know.

Did anyone post a comment on BaT suggesting the new owner join FCBO?

113_1389.JPG

113_1371.JPG

113_1400.JPG

113_1367.JPG

Back