67 Fury Tail Light Dis-assembly

67commando

Reaction score
So now that I have the light wiring sorted out I am starting to install the rear tail lights on my 67 sport fury 3. Issue is the bucket chrome is pitted and looks like hell. I can't get it re-chromed and was going to just paint a high gloss silver or powder coat.

Question is has anyone removed the plastic light from the metal bucket? I see there are screws but my screws are in bad shape and the lights are not broke but not the best. Any luck from others who have done this? Any advise so not to damage the lights?

I thought the chrome just popped in. I can check for sure when I get home (5-ish). Hold tight and make sure not to force it. If it breaks, you'll go through hell trying to find a new one.

I have already replaced a full set years ago because my originals were in bad shape and broke in places.

I have already replaced a full set years ago because my originals were in bad shape and broke in places.
Wow. I'm surprised. I've been looking to finish a set for over a year. I still need two of them.

Wow. I'm surprised. I've been looking to finish a set for over a year. I still need two of them.
Well let me know what you need. I still have my originals and maybe a few of mine are better than yours. Let me know about the chrome. I know there is a little rect ring on the outside but on mine the bucket is the outer trim.

Whoops. I've misread all of your posts up until now. Don't blame me... blame my cat and his poor sleeping habits.
:lol:
OK. This light is NOS, and here's how it is assembled.

The gasket is one piece and is compressed into a crevice in the housing. You will need to lift from there so it does not break:
back.jpg

lip.jpg

There are four screws:
screw.jpg

There is a lip you can put a finger nail under between the housing and lens. Pry it up carefully and you're done. Yes. It's really that simple. You should use an impact driver to take your screws out since there are in bad shape:
apart.jpg

Next thing for future reference:
The outside trim is actually glued on. It goes through holes (possibly drilled when installed?) and is glued into place:
tail1.jpg

tailout.jpg

It appears as if the studs have some sort of metal retainer where they are glued in.
Sorry for replying so late. Hope I helped!

P.S.
The tail lights that I need are the inner most two. Let me know if you have them.

Back