67 Newport Disc Brake conversion rod question

Bluewhale67

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a new owner of a 67 newport. I am converting it to front disc brakes. I got a booster from pirate jacks and mounted it to the car. My question is about the part that connects from the brake pedal arm to the booster. It looks like a letter L. Currently, I have the new booster mounted directly to the firewall and the booster rod connected to the pedal arm. Thanks for the help

Newport.jpg

Was this a manual brake car to start with or did it have power drum brakes? The manual pedal assembly is different than the power brake unit. The second issue is that most of the conversion brake boosters are configured for B or E-Body applications (that is what the linkage adapter is for) and that booster is smaller than a normal C-Body booster. Those brake boosters are an after market reproduction unit that is made in China and the quality has proven to be suspect. The B or E booster will not have the same braking capacity as a factory C-Body booster.

Dave

Not the right booster unfortunately, even though it looks the same. Pirate Jack's info is incorrect and misleading. You need a genuine 65-69 C body disc booster, which is not reproduced. They're hard to find, but they're out there.

Back