68 Fury fender emblem removal

Zaggart

Reaction score
So I picked up a set of reproduction fender emblems but after removing the inner wheel well I'm not sure what I'm looking at. A round nut? How do I remove these? Thought I'd ask before I start digging with a screwdriver and breaking things.

PXL_20220814_154609880.jpg

Last edited:
The red/white/blue insert is plastic. With a small, thin flat head screw driver gently pry the plastic insert away in the middle. There are tabs on each end. Once you remove the insert, you will see 2 small phillips head screws that hold the chrome bezel on to the fender. The screws go into a rubber nut. If you are just replacing the insert, leave the bezel and the screws alone. If you are replacing the Sport Fury script emblem, they go one with plastic push in plug type pin holders. The pins expand when the pins on the script emblem go through them. If you are removing them, since you have the inner fender off, gently push the pins from behind. Good luck. Been there and done what you are doing.

Thank you! Much appreciated since there is ZERO reference info on these anywhere. I'm just replacing the inserts so that makes more sense from the fender pics I was able to find without a chrome bezel installed. I assume the clear plastic cover isn't original and doesn't belong (may have been glued on, I can't tell) but since both sides are pretty much destroyed I'll start digging carefully.,

The red/white/blue insert is plastic. With a small, thin flat head screw driver gently pry the plastic insert away in the middle. There are tabs on each end. Once you remove the insert, you will see 2 small phillips head screws that hold the chrome bezel on to the fender. The screws go into a rubber nut. If you are just replacing the insert, leave the bezel and the screws alone. If you are replacing the Sport Fury script emblem, they go one with plastic push in plug type pin holders. The pins expand when the pins on the script emblem go through them. If you are removing them, since you have the inner fender off, gently push the pins from behind. Good luck. Been there and done what you are doing.
That makes sense. My Fury III badges do not have the insert, just the 2 screws. Looking at that picture I couldn't tell if that were a totally different set up. I knew you would have the answer.

Thanks again @FURYGT , that was much easier than I thought. I only wish I hadn't removed my inner fender well first. :) Turns out I thought the old emblems had a clear plastic cover on them because they had de-laminated so badly. The reproductions on eBay for $149.99 look fantastic and I'd be hard pressed to tell the originals had more of a midnight blue tone. A few pics in case any other novice over thinkers are worried about breaking something priceless:

PXL_20220815_225038436.jpg

PXL_20220815_225701340.jpg

PXL_20220816_130629393.jpg

The part number is #2785676. Same number for both sides. I didn't find anything when I Googled the part number. If you can't find them anywhere, PM me and let me see how many NOS ones that I have and if I will part with any. These are damn hard to find as they were only used on Sport Fury's and VIP's in 1968 and they command big dollars when they are found.

Back