NOT MINE 71 Monaco Yuma AZ $20,000

I have a 1971 Imperial Le Baron in its original Tawny Gold and this isn't it. I also have a 1971 Chrysler New Yorker in Tahitian Walnut (T8) and this car is an exact match for that color. My only hang up with this car and my New Yorker is that I do not like white vinyl tops with dark body colors, rather I prefer vinyl tops that match darker body colors. So while I would leave the original body code plate original for authenticity, I might be tempted to make the top match closely with the T8. Otherwise, this looks like a great car with manual a/c and all the options meet the bare minimums with me . For example, I would likely add a power bucket driver seat and this car has the preferable manual a/c that looks like it has had some work done on the hoses and receiver drier areas so maybe it is actually working.

The most unfortunate thing about the car to me at least is mounting the tach on the instrument panel pad - dumb! I would also put back an original black rim blow steering wheel rather than a later year one that is currently on the car and the incorrect color.

I have a 1971 Monaco with the 383-4 power train that needs a restoration, but buying this car would save me some money and I could sell my 71 Monaco and avoid a year of my life doing the restoration project if all checks out with this car upon further investigation.

I agree with your take on this otherwise lovely car. The tach needs to go, and you would have some work ahead to undo some of the other questionable things that the owner did to it. But I doubt you would find a better car to begin with. Buying it would save both money and time for you. Of course that is me, spending your money for you. :D

Our '71 Monaco bought new when I was a kid was Y9 Tawny Gold/Dark Gold and definitely was somewhat green, though a very handsome color regardless. Ours was ordered with a gold vinyl roof which really wasn't gold but more of a mid-brown, with (if memory serves) a hint of metallic in the vinyl. It matched the Y9 paint perfectly but I think would coordinate well with this Tahitian Walnut.

So I wonder where the car is? Yuma or Washington? The CL ad pictures were in Yuma but most likely this guy is a "Snowbird" and will no doubt soon be flying North for the summer. Will he take the car or leave it here?
I love the 1971 2dr senior Dodges, and this color combo ticks all the boxes for me. I therefore communicated with the seller, thinking I might go for it (yeah, I know, I have the disease...).

I have decided to pass, mostly because the 440 engine is correct for the car but is not original to this car (it came from a Chrysler).

The owner is very nice and shared helpful info. In the process, I learned that the car's ownership trail runs from WA (first owner) to AK (2nd owner, who I am now 99.99% sure was @eyemon in Fairbanks AK) to the current owner in WA and now AZ (@eyemon's kid).

I trust that this 3-owner Monaco will go to a good home. It looks stunning.

well if the antifreeze wasnt good then it could have had a cracked block.
ive had 3 cars that has happened to ( not on my watch).
the 70 newport convert parts car i saved from the crusher has a 400 to replace the 383 that cracked, both my 72 monacos had 318s that replaced the 360s that cracked

I agree with your take on this otherwise lovely car. The tach needs to go, and you would have some work ahead to undo some of the other questionable things that the owner did to it. But I doubt you would find a better car to begin with. Buying it would save both money and time for you. Of course that is me, spending your money for you. :D

Our '71 Monaco bought new when I was a kid was Y9 Tawny Gold/Dark Gold and definitely was somewhat green, though a very handsome color regardless. Ours was ordered with a gold vinyl roof which really wasn't gold but more of a mid-brown, with (if memory serves) a hint of metallic in the vinyl. It matched the Y9 paint perfectly but I think would coordinate well with this Tahitian Walnut.
I love the 1971 2dr senior Dodges, and this color combo ticks all the boxes for me. I therefore communicated with the seller, thinking I might go for it (yeah, I know, I have the disease...).

I have decided to pass, mostly because the 440 engine is correct for the car but is not original to this car (it came from a Chrysler).

The owner is very nice and shared helpful info. In the process, I learned that the car's ownership trail runs from WA (first owner) to AK (2nd owner, who I am now 99.99% sure was @eyemon in Fairbanks AK) to the current owner in WA and now AZ (@eyemon's kid).

I trust that this 3-owner Monaco will go to a good home. It looks stunning.

While I am not a big fan of the colors now on the car, the original ones would have been acceptable since my 71 Imperial shares the colors originally on this Monaco.

1651696203090.png

Given the engine change and apparently numerous other items that need being taken care of plus the present repaint colors it is not the car for me.

Last edited:
While I am not a big fan of the colors now on the car, the original ones would have been acceptable since my 71 Imperial shares the colors originally on this car:

View attachment 529370

Given the repaint and the lack of the original engine, the price being sought in not what I would be willing to pay for this vehicle, and it also needs some additional work on a number of items apparently. However, I too hope it will find a good home.
Ooo, that brown sent shudders through me the moment I saw it the same way brown 74-78 Marquis do.

Beautiful Monaco. I love the color combo on this one. I tried to contact the owner while this was in Vegas but never got a response back. I was going to go get better pictures for those Polara guys on here.

Beautiful Monaco. I love the color combo on this one. I tried to contact the owner while this was in Vegas but never got a response back. I was going to go get better pictures for those Polara guys on here.
DH23T1D109069 is still for sale, see this thread today.

While I am not a big fan of the colors now on the car, the original ones would have been acceptable since my 71 Imperial shares the colors originally on this Monaco.

View attachment 529370

Given the engine change and apparently numerous other items that need being taken care of plus the present repaint colors it is not the car for me.
I see now that I screwed up in the past regarding the colors on this Monaco compared to my GY9 Imperial. They are not the same. What I should have said was that I prefer that the vinyl top match more the GT8 color on the Monaco, which would have been V1T. The vinyl top on my Imperial is G1Y so it complements the body color. To me the white vinyl top breaks up the smooth flowing lines of the integration of the "23" tops on these cars with the rear quarters.

Resurrecting an old thread because I've had the ad for this car on Offer Up bookmarked and just today it was marked sold.

Resurrecting an old thread because I've had the ad for this car on Offer Up bookmarked and just today it was marked sold.

I have had a similar experience on Offer Up on this Monaco Chris. Tried for months to get information about the car and never anything came back. Then one day it was marked "sold".

My experience on that site has generally been miserable so I really don't take it seriously anymore. The listing even had the model year wrong since it is clearly a 73 model.........................

1972 Dodge Monaco for Sale in Irwindale, CA - OfferUp

I also could not get traction on Offer Up on this car and would have lost it except for Manny's @70 Sport Suburban enormous help in tracking down the owner of the car for me and getting it for me in the end......................................

1971 Chrysler 300 440 TNT 19k miles for Sale in Milwaukee, WI - OfferUp

Last edited:
You beat me to it, @azblackhemi -- I got an email this morning from OfferUp telling me that the car had sold.

I have had a similar experience on Offer Up on this Monaco (...) My experience on that site has generally been miserable so I really don't take it seriously anymore. (...) I also could not get traction on Offer Up on this car and would have lost it except for Manny's @70 Sport Suburban enormous help in tracking down the owner of the car for me and getting it for me in the end......................................

1971 Chrysler 300 440 TNT 19k miles for Sale in Milwaukee, WI - OfferUp
That's the main value in OfferUp. I was interested in this 1971 Monaco, and seeing it listed there enables me to get in touch with the seller (whose father was @eyemon ).

As for sellers, I think they could get better outcomes using other services.

You beat me to it, @azblackhemi -- I got an email this morning from OfferUp telling me that the car had sold.

That's the main value in OfferUp. I was interested in this 1971 Monaco, and seeing it listed there enables me to get in touch with the seller (whose father was @eyemon ).

As for sellers, I think they could get better outcomes using other services.

The issue in my case was that I could not find a way to get in touch with the seller - there was never any response relative the 73 Monaco..............

Back