72 Chrysler New Yorker review

@67newport beat you to CH41T2C150706 :)

1713103292090.png

Last edited:
To me, the '72 just looked RIGHT. Tasteful, nicely-proportioined, and elegant (even in the lower trim level Chryslers). Engine performance was diminished for many reasons, as chassis performance was still better than what GM or Ford ever offered. As the video notes, the GMs and Fords were smoother and softer, but on-the-road performance of the Fuselage Chryslers was still good.

As to underhood service items, not as good as the prior platform, for B/RB engines. I figured they "hired too many GM engineers to design that car", personally. In reality, though, it was the higher fender line which contributed to that "worse" situation. Compromises for style?

I grinned when he referred to the compass as "GPS".

Watching that video made me smile.
CBODY67

The video is correct about several things for sure. It's big. And does have plenty of power. And does transmit more road than big Fords.
The big fords are the easiest cars to drive that I'd ever driven. I don't fault them at all. But lots of body lean. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the car speed or radius of the curve. Just however far you turn the wheel is how far it just leans on over there. It's as if there is a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the shock absorbers. Mines a 77 Grand Marquis.
How big is a 72 Chrysler? Driving my 64 Chrysler after driving my 72 Chrysler feels like getting into a 1970 B body.

On those Ford products, one area of "road isolation" is the steering. If people perceive there is no road feel in a Chrysler or GM power steering system, they need to drive one of those eras of Fords. Cars, pickup trucks . . . the "family feel", been there since the early 1970s, at least.

I always was amused to see "Steve McGarret" slide around the corners in his black Marquis on the original "Hawaii 5-0", in the later 1960s. Then there was "Mannix" who drove his Dart GT convertible around corners, at speed. Quite a difference.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Back