727 linkage adjustment

Ok I have everything set up right the only thing I am looking at is the rod that goes down could it be I need to shorten the rod, here is some pics, the green wire is to hold the rod on, as the ball is a little worn out, it doesn't affect the movement. It still will not kick down.

Hi there, firstly, the area where you have the green wire is missing the clip that holds it all together..

Not sure about the rest of the query here though other than what has been posted before here on how to properly adjust the kick down's for the 727 transmission.

Ok I have everything set up right the only thing I am looking at is the rod that goes down could it be I need to shorten the rod, here is some pics, the green wire is to hold the rod on, as the ball is a little worn out, it doesn't affect the movement. It still will not kick down.
The way I adjusted mine was, I used a piece of pipe between the fully depressed gas pedal and the steering wheel (I did not have an assistant to step on the gas pedal), then I pushed down on the rod that goes down to the linkage that ultimately moves the lever on the transmission rearward. If you can push down on that rod (where your green wire is) and it moves a bit when the carb is supposed to be at WOT, then it is not adjusted correctly to get the kick down function.
Hopefully that makes sense.

Does it matter that it is a 2bbl linkage, I have the rod to extend the top piece. I will do that and check thanks alot.

Scotty is right. Look at this picture or the video I posted on page 2 of this thread.

Trans.jpg

Ok I adjusted it to the point where i push back to WTO and there is no slack on the kickdown. I took it out and I pressed the gas pretty good and I am pretty sure it kicked down but its alomost like a hesitation then the car takes off.

Sounds like a carb issue is it a thunder series the air valve might be opening too soon causing bog. If its a afb style they are usually lazy but don't bog

Yea its a thunder series, how can I fix that not too familiar adjusting carbs. I bought a new accelerator pump because I thought maybe that was it.

There is a adjustment on side of carb in line with shaft for air valve on rear pair of Venturi's it is spring tension you want to tighten it up to slow down opening giving engine speed a chance to get going and pull some vacuum. It may take some tweaking but not terribly difficult.

Ok I messed with the kickdown again there is no play at WOT, still doesn't kickdown, I looked underneath everything is tight and moves as it should when the pedal is depressed. I am still playing with the air valve, I think it might be too loose because I took it out again and made it looser than it was just to see and the bogging was worse so I think I am getting there I went 2 full turns instead of the edelbrock factory 1 1/2, I will update again soon. Still not sure about the kickdown though.

Yea not sure at this point it shifts good. The fluid is clean no metal. I need to get rid of the bogging too maybe by the secondaries opening too soon maybe it is affecting it.

The secondary's have nothing to do with the trans not kicking down............ I think you will find out your problem is in the valve body of the transmission..........

Back