74 imperial 440 Idler Pulley..Where Can I Find One?

Reaction score
Where can I find the correct idler pulley for a 1974 Imperial , factory installed AC. All the ones I've tried from napa, oreilly's, etc are all to narrow for the double V belt system

I think FCBO has pushed so much business his way that his business must have at least trippled.

It used to get pushed his way on the Drydocks....not that it doesn't anymore, just not as much since the dock has slowed down. It almost always gets pushed his way, it's just a matter from where. This seems to be the starting point now

Take the idler to oreilly and have them get the number off the bearing and replace it. No need to buy the whole thing.

Are you talking about the pulley that takes up the slop between the A/C unit and the Alternator that keeps those beltz from dancing? If so find a later c-body with 400 RB in it and use the idler pulley and bracket mother installed in those later ones where she finally got it right.

Are you talking about the pulley that takes up the slop between the A/C unit and the Alternator that keeps those beltz from dancing? If so find a later c-body with 400 RB in it and use the idler pulley and bracket mother installed in those later ones where she finally got it right.

That it.. I went to bearing head quarters and put a new bearing in it... The problem is for today's bearings it needs a collar put inside the inner bore to take up the space for the 7 /16 bolt being used to hold it on... Honestly the belts run just fine without the idler on there. I don't know why its even needed.

Thatz what they make flat washerz for in varying thickness and diameters with the same 7/8th bore size. they pinch the inner race so only the bearing and outer race will spin. Oh, and as for the need for that pulley. All beltz will stretch over time and we all get ah bit lax in our P.M.in'. I personally have had belts get loose enough that they will reverse on the drive pulleys. Try swapping twin beltz on the shoulder of I-94 in down town Chicago even if you do travel with a spare set and have the toolz along for the ride. Trust me , Mother and all the other manufactures have done their home work on that one. It'z there for a reason, Jer

Ya I know what your referring to on the washers that pinch the inner race only ... I have one on each side . See the original bearing is an odd size with an extra thick inner sleeve no longer manufactured that way

Back