77 Chrysler Newport with carburetor issue

angus66

Reaction score
So I've had my '77 out in Kelowna as my vacation car over the last few summers and she has a "bit" of a stumble under hard acceleration - she'll stall at a light or merge if you get into her so you have to be very careful.

She lives at my inlaws' condo so wrenching on her myself would be quite offside as she already draws a lot of dirty looks from the Mercedes and Lexus crowd. I took her to the local mechanic and he said there's something wrong with the carb - but he's not interested in getting into it. He's doing too well on local's tune-ups and the more-money-than-brains-crowd on major engine rebuilds.

Anyway, to make a story even longer and more drawn out, the engine is a 400ci and the carburetor is a "Autoline C-6110". My questions are - a) is there a rebuild kit available for these or b) what would fit as a budget replacement?

Probably what has happened is the accelerator circuit in the carburetor has gotten clogged or restricted due to the blended fuels we have to use. Older carburetors don't do well with methanol blended fuels, if that's what you have in BC. It could be just from dirt and grime in the carburetor. Being a 40 year old carburetor replacement my be the easiest way out. An Edelbrock may be best. So many shops now a days just don't want to mess with carburetored vehicles, they would have to be a real technician.

I concur, sounds like it might be an accel pump issue. If the factory Chrysler spreadbore intake is still on the car, it might take an adapter to make it work with the Edelbrock AFB-style carb? The Autoline is a reman Carter Thermoquad, like should have come on the car when new. The "Autoline" is the company that did the rebuilding, not the original brand of carburetor, which is Carter.

On the TQuads, there is a little "weight" which keeps fuel from being pulled into the accel pump shooter as the engine runs. Remove the pump shooter and you'll find it there. A pair of needle-nose pliers to remove it. It can stick in place, stopping all fuel to the accel pump shooter. That happened to me once. Might just need to break it loose and reinstall the shooter (with the existing gasket).

For what you're using the car for, the Edelbrock would be fine, I suspect, and easier to rebuild, if needed, later on. Some people do get scarred when you mention "carburetor" or a brand of carb they aren't familiar with.

CBODY67

I've ordered the Rebuilt Auto Line off RockAuto because I'm a sick bastard. I'll be doing this swap in a driveway with borrowed tools. I appreciate the feedback guys.

Hope it goes well for you! Good luck with the swap take your time and take pictures before you start. Change the fuel filter also.

Back