A Formal Spring Cleaning

Justin Plant

Reaction score
So, Spring is upon us. Well, most of us. This past weekend in SW Virginia was beautiful. A much needed cleaning was in order. The engine bay in my '75 was the biggest let down on the car. Having just bought it in late October I haven't had a good chance to give it a scrub. So, here's the car. And a before and after of the engine bay. Now that the dirt is out of the way, detailing can commence.
20220211_132444 (1).jpg
14147 (1).jpeg
20220306_152924.jpg

looks good, just paint the master cylinder and booster black and that will take care of the eye sore.

looks good, just paint the master cylinder and booster black and that will take care of the eye sore.
There will be quite a bit of painting to come. A co worker of mine does powder coating on the side as well. He's already offered his services.

So what products did you use to clean the engine compartment?
I use Purple Power poured in an old pesticide sprayer. Along with Foamy Super Clean and a bucket full of hot water and Meguire's Gold class car wash I buy a bone sponge every spring and cut it in half. One half for wheels and the other for engines and really grimey stuff.

There will be quite a bit of painting to come. A co worker of mine does powder coating on the side as well. He's already offered his services.
Powder coating is the way to go IMO.. I did ALLOT of pieces underhood on my 77 NYB. Made a world of difference.

Beautiful car by the way. Im Jelly. :wideyed:

I use Purple Power poured in an old pesticide sprayer. Along with Foamy Super Clean and a bucket full of hot water and Meguire's Gold class car wash I buy a bone sponge every spring and cut it in half. One half for wheels and the other for engines and really grimey stuff.
Thanks, copied to my notes for the next clean up job. Have you used this combo on modern engines without damage to sensors?

Yes, it doesn't effect them at all. I drive a 99 Camry, you can eat off the engine. My wife's 15 Soul, I clean the same way. The engine needs to be cold. other than that, common sense and elbow grease.

Back