A07 code on 1971 senior Dodges: "Factory A/C Special" Package?

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A number of threads, on FCBO and other C-body-focused boards, have wondered over the years about the A07 code on some 1971 Polara's and Monaco's fender tags. While there are plenty of entries for earlier and later model years, either most online decoders (whether automated or lists) are silent about this code for 1971 or they call it the "Turnpike Package". A simple search shows a number of FCBO threads accordingly making a reference to one or the other.

I find the online decoders' claims puzzling because (i) some of them "specify" that the Turnpike Package entails a 383-2 engine yet (ii) I am aware of at least two 1971 T-code Monaco coupes whose fender tags both contain the A07 code.

I submit that the solution to the riddle is on pp.5-6 of the 1971 Dodge Polara & Monaco Salesman Pocket Guide. I am attaching below an extract of the relevant portion (courtesy of the ever helpful Hamtramck Registry website).

If anyone has a '71 with the A07 code, it'd be great if you could chime in and report whether your car's equipment is (in)consistent with that "A/C special" option list. That includes @Autoengineer and @71Polara383. AFAIK, with the possible exception of the rim-blow steering wheel on one car (but not the other), the two coupes I mentioned have everything consistent with the list, and the outstanding shape of their underbodies despite spending much of their lives in the rust belt suggests that the undercoating was useful.*

*: Interestingly, to be correct, cars thus equipped would need to have white sidewall tires. That's gonna be a problem for the owners of the two T-code coupes I mentioned above.

Code A07 info .png

Last edited:
The "Turnpike Package" I remember was what I found in the '70 Belvedere/Sattelite (B-body Plymouth) sales brochure. Hidden in the print, but also listed in the back with other options. Basically, a 383 2bbl V-8, TF, 2.76 axle ratio, and possibly a/c. Same powertrain combination as the Chrysler Newport and Newport Custom sedans, but also available in C-body Plymouth/Dodge cars, too.

The Air Conditioning Special was a "Spring Special" sales package. A specific combination of equipment where the "A/C is No Extra Charge" Dodge and Plymouth did this almost every year, it seemed, back in the 1968-'71 era. If A/C was not "at no extra charge", it was "TorqueFlite automatic transmission at no extra charge". In about '68, Plymouth tied it to silver-painted Fury III 4-dr sedans, with an appropriate name. Dodge had their "White Hat Specials". similarly.

Plymouth ad Joe Garagiola hawking their packages and the "Dodge Lady" did theirs, as I recall.

Hope this might help esplain things,
CBODY67

The Air Conditioning Special was a "Spring Special" sales package. A specific combination of equipment where the "A/C is No Extra Charge"

Thank you. One of the coupes I have seen with the A07 package was built in mid-November -- would the Spring Special already have been on? Wyatt's video suggests that they were being sold in the winter, but November?

In '71, that particular option package might have been year-round rather than just in the spring, possibly. Sometimes, the spring specials had an extra piece of optional chrome that was a part of the package, special interior fabrics/colors, new exterior colors. Rather than just a special grouping of popular options at a reduced cost. Advertising was more interesting back then!

CBODY67

A number of threads, on FCBO and other C-body-focused boards, have wondered over the years about the A07 code on some 1971 Polara's and Monaco's fender tags. While there are plenty of entries for earlier and later model years, most online decoders (whether automated or lists) either are silent about this code for 1971 or they call it the "Turnpike Package". A simple search shows a number of FCBO threads accordingly making a reference to one or the other.

I find the online decoders' claims puzzling because (i) some of them "specify" that the Turnpike Package entails a 383-2 engine yet (ii) I am aware of at least two 1971 T-code Monaco coupes whose fender tags both contain the A07 code.

I submit that the solution to the riddle is on pp.5-6 of the 1971 Dodge Polara & Monaco Salesman Pocket Guide. I am attaching below an extract of the relevant portion (courtesy of the ever helpful Hamtramck Registry website).

If anyone has a '71 with the A07 code, it'd be great if you could chime in and report whether your car's equipment is (in)consistent with that "A/C special" option list. That includes @Autoengineer and @71Polara383. AFAIK, with the possible exception of the rim-blow steering wheel on one car (but not the other), the two coupes I mentioned have everything consistent with the list, and the outstanding shape of their underbodies despite spending much of their lives in the rust belt suggests that the undercoating was useful.*

*: Interestingly, to be correct, cars thus equipped would need to have white sidewall tires. That's gonna be a problem for the owners of the two T-code coupes I mentioned above.

View attachment 253746

One thing to remember......99.9% of online decoders suck. They are rarely good for topics like this.

One of the missions of the HH library is to make factory information, like the snip above, available to answer questions like yours. We’re always looking to add more Chrysler Corp info.

Just to add my 2c worth on the topic,I just picked up a 71 Sport Fury which is coded with the A07 package and was a late build (June 22) and has some,but not all,of the equipment listed on the Polara/Monaco "factory air conditioning special" list.I couldn't find a listing in the HH 71 Plymouth Fury salesmans pocket guide for the A07 package but I would think it could differ somewhat from the Dodge one posted above.

For the record,my particular car has most of the big ticket items on the list like the vinyl roof,tinted glass,torqueflight,PS,PDB and smaller ones like the AM radio,3 speed wipers,LH remote mirror,light package and undercoating.It's coded for the front bumper guards but they're not present and it's also coded separately for fender turn signals (L31) and the A94 package which decodes as a "reminder light package" on the MyMopar site but not mentioned on HH and seems redundant with the A01 package in place.A94 is also listed as "Gold Duster package" which obviously wouldn't apply here so maybe it's a different package that's required to get the A/C package.It has the K code 360-2 which appears to be still present.

Unfortunately the factory wheels and wheel covers are MIA so no idea what those were and the car doesn't have the rim blow wheel or speed control although they could have been removed or replaced along the way.I can't remember if the car had the clock,rear defogger or rear speaker so I'll have to look next time I'm out where the car is.I also want to dig around for a broadcast sheet at the same time.
The car does have it's matching data tag so I'll post that for comparison sake.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Last edited:
I found an A/C group available on 70 Furies and there´s also the ``Turnpike Package.´´

70_Belevedere0013.jpg

70_Fury0011.jpg

They mention the A07 package in this old dealer info video I just watched.It looks like the options listed at 2:22 "that most people want" are the same ones required for the "air conditioning special" A07 package.

@march reminded us today that some of the info we look for, may have been uploaded a decade or more ago on another board. I found this 2009 thread today on the Dry Dock -- apparently, I had missed it when looking almost two years ago.

Last edited:
Back