Advice or tips for doing my steering gear box, 68 Newport

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
I'm debating to buy a firm feel stage 2 steering gear box and new Pittman arm soon. I'm a little scared to do the job myself. I've done quite a bit of work on my car but wondering if there are any tips or tricks that would be helpful to know before I start on it I can plan for? Think I'll Need to reuse my pressure fittings. But other than new fluid anything I should have on hand? Any special tools? Think there might be one needed to separate the steering shaft? I've been doing a lot of research, just getting close to being a reality now and want to make sure I don't mess anything up too bad. There is barely any tutorials for anything for this car other than fsm's.

I'll probably be doing a new gasket and fluid on my rear diff too if any advice for that.

pitman arm puller, patience, a lot of rags to clean up the fluid!lol. otherwise not that big of a job but be warned those gear boxes are heavy, I just got a stage 2 from firm feel a few weeks ago. Also their site says about 6-8 weeks but I think theyre running a bit behind because mine took about 12

forgot to add you may as well get a steering coupler rebuild kit and replace the rag joint while at it

Have another thought before I go off deep end. The bell housing on the top is leaking. Where the adjustment screw is. I've taken that ring off before but not sure how that bell comes off. Wondering if u can just pop that off somehow and put a new o ring in it without taking the whole thing out? I feel like it's salvageable. And just do a new Pittman arm for just a tiny bit of slop I still have. I have a fsm but it's on disk and my new computer doesn't have a disk reader and I haven't bought the attachment yet.

I went the rebuild/replacement route.
Here is my Firm Feel stage-2-rebuilt steering gear install thread. $475 total cost with $70 shipping both ways. One of the best investments dollar for dollar that I have made in my car. I also bought new Pitman arm $145: Firm Feel uses Rare Parts brand.
Firm Feel Rebuilt Steering Gear on 1970 Fury 440/727
Step by step and lets you see the tools I used.

Definitely don't buy a parts store 'reman'. Looks like you're past that though.
I have firm feel stage 2 in my charger, it's ok. Next box I redo will be a borgeson.
You'll need a long bar to get the pitman drawn tight or a biggie impact

Since you are buying a new arm, you probably won't need a pittman arm puller, but you will need to separate the arm from the center link. There are several ways of doing that... A pickle fork is one way. Another way is to smash the side with a BFH and hope it pops off. There are also pullers, and sometimes the best way is to crank on the puller and then smack the side with the hammer and again hope it pops off. There are probably some good YouTube videos showing guys separating tie rods and such.

And as said, those boxes are heavy... I've had an AARP card for a while now, have a neck that's partially fused, a bad back and an eye doc that would yell at me if I lift too much (that's how I tore the last retina), but I still did it.. But I also have a lift. I don't know as if I'd want to do that one on my back. Getting it out was a little tough... Lift and turn etc. Same for going in... Lift/turn etc. Just be real careful... It's one thing for me to drop it from the lift.. Worst it would do is hit my foot rather than the floor. Dropping it on your chest or head while laying under the car is going to rack up some emergency room fees.

After a lot of research, I decided to use the new design box that Lares offers. The reason was the problem I was having in adjusting the OEM box hydraulic valve.....too sensitive. The new design does not use this awful thing. So as related above, it is a difficult job....but in my case, mainly because I had problems with the bolt holes, new box to frame. Not really too bad overall if the bolt holes are right....as Big John says....lay on your back and lift. I used a small hoist to pull it into place.....a 2x4 over the engine and small lift that helped. I pulled the box into place and then got under and adjusted....worked well. My old box was a mess, and the new one is great.....good luck.

Back