advice revision / restoration headen headlightmotor 1971 Imperial

jet1969

Reaction score
I need some help with the revision /restoration of a headen headlight motor. It is from an 1971 Imperial 2 door. The gasket of the lower part has to be replaced and also the complete motor has to be dismanteled to clean and to check all the wiring.

-Do I have to take off the knop which can be used for manual operating the headen headlights. It quite a risky thing to do . It is completely stuck on the axle. Before I have to use heat or force, what is wisdom. Let it on the axle or do I have to remove it. If so what is a good tactic to do?
IMG_8178.jpg

-To replace the lower gasket , I think i have to remove the 4 hollow pivots by drilling them out. The gasket is also under the brown rectangle where the 2 carbon brushes (sorry I am dutch not all the tecnical english terms are easy , but i think you know what i mean) are mounted on, which is hold together by the 4 hollow pivots. After I have changed the gasket i can mount new hollow pivots in the bottom. Is this the way to do it or is there another way?

IMG_8177.jpg

-I was thinking to make a new gasket my self. Use the old parts and fotos of a new one and cut it out of thick gasketpaper. Or are there any replace gaskets to get somewhere. I saw a revision set for the upper part (gasket and gear) but not for the lower part.

Any help, suggestions and tricks are welcome for a succesfull revision. This is one of a whole list which I have to .............

Hey Paul, I'm answering your PM here, so someone with the same problems can maybe find the answers here later.

Do I have to take off the knop which can be used for manual operating the headen headlights? If so what is a good tactic to do?
Yes, you have to remove the wheel in order to completely disassemble the motor. The wheel is splined and "just" pressed on. I used a small 3 jaw puller to remove it. Worked great.

Headlamps - Motor - 034.JPG

Headlamps - Motor - 032.JPG

To replace the lower gasket , do I have to drill out the 4 rivets? I saw you replaced the polyester mounting plate for the brushes. Where did you get that one?
Yes, you have to drill out the rivets to change the gasket since it's underneath the brush mounting plate. Mine broke in this process so I made a new one from blank circuit board material.
If your plate doesn't brake, reuse it, that's fine. If it gets damaged, just use it as a template to make a new one from circuit board material. You can find that on Ebay.
Use pop rivets to reattach the plate.

Headlamps - Motor - 041.JPG

Headlamps - Motor - 186.JPG

You printed new gaskets on gasketpaper. Is it possible you share the pdf adobe file for the gasket?
I digitalized the gaskets and then printed them onto gasket paper with a laser printer. (Be careful, that can ruin your laser printer if the paper is to thick. Ask me how I know it...)
You can also print it on normal paper, cut it out and use it as a template on the thicker gasket paper.

I'm happy to share the work I've done with the community, so you can download a PDF with all the gaskets from my Dropbox:

Headlamps - Motor - 139.jpg

Headlamps - Motor - 099.JPG

Headlamps - Motor - 100.JPG

I hope I was able to help you with your questions! If you have any other I can help you with, let me know! I'm happy to help where I can!

Hey Paul, I'm answering your PM here, so someone with the same problems can maybe find the answers here later.

Do I have to take off the knop which can be used for manual operating the headen headlights? If so what is a good tactic to do?
Yes, you have to remove the wheel in order to completely disassemble the motor. The wheel is splined and "just" pressed on. I used a small 3 jaw puller to remove it. Worked great.

View attachment 584136

View attachment 584137

To replace the lower gasket , do I have to drill out the 4 rivets? I saw you replaced the polyester mounting plate for the brushes. Where did you get that one?
Yes, you have to drill out the rivets to change the gasket since it's underneath the brush mounting plate. Mine broke in this process so I made a new one from blank circuit board material.
If your plate doesn't brake, reuse it, that's fine. If it gets damaged, just use it as a template to make a new one from circuit board material. You can find that on Ebay.

View attachment 584138

View attachment 584139

You printed new gaskets on gasketpaper. Is it possible you share the pdf adobe file for the gasket?
I digitalized the gaskets and then printed them onto gasket paper with a laser printer. (Be careful, that can ruin your laser printer if the paper is to thick. Ask me how I know it...)
You can also print it on normal paper, cut it out and use it as a template on the thicker gasket paper.

I'm happy to share the work I've done with the community, so you can download a PDF with all the gaskets from my Dropbox:

View attachment 584143

View attachment 584141

View attachment 584142

I hope I was able to help you with your questions! If you have any other I can help you with, let me know! I'm happy to help where I can!
Hero.

View attachment 584136

View attachment 584137

View attachment 584138

View attachment 584139

[/URL]

View attachment 584143

View attachment 584141

View attachment 584142

Thanks very much for the drawings and the practical help. The knob came off as you said carefull using a gear puller. Unfortunately a bummer today by trying to get the axle out , the brass sphere was completely stuck on the axle, i had to bent back the innerlips at he bottom carefully which holds the spring disk to get everything out. In this proces the disk broke. :(Any suggestions, spare one?, alternative
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8188.JPG

Thanks very much for the drawings and the practical help. The knob came off as you said carefull using a gear puller. Unfortunately a bummer today by trying to get the axle out , the brass sphere was completely stuck on the axle, i had to bent back the innerlips at he bottom carefully which holds the spring disk to get everything out. In this proces the disk broke. :(Any suggestions, spare one?, alternativeView attachment 584335View attachment 584334
Uff, these pieces look like they came from the bottom of the ocean. :/
You will not find the retention spring alone as a spare part... And if the bronze bushing was stuck on the shaft due to rust, it will never have a smooth surface again to ride on.
You can try and use rust remover on all the parts but in this poor state you're better off finding a replacement motor. :(

Last edited:
Uff, these pieces look like they came from the bottom of the ocean. :/
You will not find the retention spring alone as a spare part... And if the bronze bushing was stuck on the shaft due to rust, it will never have a smooth surface again to ride on.
You can try and use rust remover on all the parts but in this poor state you're better off finding a replacement motor. :(
Well, I don’t give up yet….replacement motor are hard to find and big bugs

Back