Amber the 1972 Imperial Restoration

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
So for those that don’t know, In October of 2022 I purchased a 1972 Imperial LeBaron 4 door hardtop out of Bryan OH. This thing was rough, but honest, meaning rusty but no one tried to hide it. I tried to get it running and driving for Carlisle 2023 but after 40 miles it crapped out. Since Carlisle is done this year, I will be starting the restoration.

I started out by confirming the A/C is discharged. I will be digging in this weekend and making my list of what is broken or needs work.

IMG_3675.jpeg

Not many of these tend to be restored, will be following its progress.

So for those that don’t know, In October of 2022 I purchased a 1972 Imperial LeBaron 4 door hardtop out of Bryan OH. This thing was rough, but honest, meaning rusty but no one tried to hide it. I tried to get it running and driving for Carlisle 2023 but after 40 miles it crapped out. Since Carlisle is done this year, I will be starting the restoration.

I started out by confirming the A/C is discharged. I will be digging in this weekend and making my list of what is broken or needs work.

View attachment 606581
Nice machine to have hanging around.

Is there any recommendations for a shop that can do paint and body that is not afraid of C-bodies? I have contacted a handful of shops and have had no responses.

are you sure you want to send this into a body & paint shop ? From my understanding you were also considering buying another 4 door that´s been for sale lately ( don´t find the thread now but I´m somewhat sure I´ve read your name there ). You have to realize that every dollar you drop into a 4 door is more or less gone and not returning when you´re selling it.
These cars are not easy to paint due to the fuselage shaped round sides. That requires more skill than a flat surface, you´ll not be happy with a cheap backyard spray. Plus if spending big money on a repaint you´ll want to do it right and remove the vinyl. So you´ll need that new and about 99.9% probability the rear window plug will be a mess. That fiberglass is always shot around the window trim. The screws are always completely rusted and sunk into the plug, there´s no way this Ohio car has that much rust with the rear plug still in decent shape.
What I´m saying is one thing will turn into another and in the end you´ll be 25k into rust, paint and vinyl roof repair plus mechanics. You´ll never see that money again not even close. So my question is, why no buying another 4 door that´s way nicer for about 10k. Consider 3-5k for repairs and have a fantastic 4 door for 15k and Amber as a driver after you fixed the mechanics

are you sure you want to send this into a body & paint shop ? From my understanding you were also considering buying another 4 door that´s been for sale lately ( don´t find the thread now but I´m somewhat sure I´ve read your name there ). You have to realize that every dollar you drop into a 4 door is more or less gone and not returning when you´re selling it.
These cars are not easy to paint due to the fuselage shaped round sides. That requires more skill than a flat surface, you´ll not be happy with a cheap backyard spray. Plus if spending big money on a repaint you´ll want to do it right and remove the vinyl. So you´ll need that new and about 99.9% probability the rear window plug will be a mess. That fiberglass is always shot around the window trim. The screws are always completely rusted and sunk into the plug, there´s no way this Ohio car has that much rust with the rear plug still in decent shape.
What I´m saying is one thing will turn into another and in the end you´ll be 25k into rust, paint and vinyl roof repair plus mechanics. You´ll never see that money again not even close. So my question is, why no buying another 4 door that´s way nicer for about 10k. Consider 3-5k for repairs and have a fantastic 4 door for 15k and Amber as a driver after you fixed the mechanics
I’m well aware of what it takes to restore a car. I really don’t care about the costs.

I already have a 72 and a 73 so for now I have no more room for cars.

So after many weeks for searching for a shop that will do paint and body, the only shop that responded was The Finer Details. It will be two years before the car can go in, so in the mean time I can save some money and hunt for parts.

Last edited:
The Finer Details has not returned any emails past just kicking the idea around. I have a plan B so I will figure it out. I will start with my 73 first and start a new thread.

Disassembling the front end, here are detail pictures of the assembly. This car apparently did not have the core support blackout applied.

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

IMG_0771.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

Back