Anyone running Nitrous Oxide setup?

greasemonkeyman

Reaction score
Just curious,I happen to have a new NOS plate system setup that I've had laying around(still in box) and was wondering what a safe amount of nitrous would be if I decided to use it on my 67 NYer with a 440. From the looks of the motor,the internals look to be in good shape and I plan on doing a compression test to see what readings I'm getting on all the cylinders.The mileage reads 44K miles and it appears to be original but not sure,although the engine did look exceptionally clean when I replaced the oil pan and valve cover gaskets,like it had been rebuilt.Has anyone here tried running NOS before on their 440 engine and how durable is it? I only plan on occasional use and am not looking to destroy the motor.Just wondering what a reasonable horsepower increase I might use above the stock rating of the engine without damaging anything.Any ideas?

depending on the kit 75, 100, 125 should be ok, but the fuel system has to be up to par. rich fuel is your friend run lean and bad things happen. ign needs to be good also. good luck

As long as you remember rich hurts power, lean hurts engines, you will do ok. Stick to the jet chart and make sure you have both the pressure and the volume from your pump. I run spray on 5 of my cars and have my own filling station. There is no reason that a decent shape 440 can't handle a small plate kit if you do your homework. Colder plugs, pull a few degrees of timing out and let her eat.

If you are running stock cast pistons do not and did I say do not go over a 100 shot! I am pretty good friends with the owner of NX and we have gone into much length about this as I thought about it a little while back on a different car. If its a hyper piston they are usually ok up to about a 150 shot as long as you don't go crazy with it. As said just make sure that you don't go lean or you will find out how strong those pistons really are.

Put a 125 on it you"ll be fine. As pointed out, you need good fuel pressure throughout the range, and knock the timing down. There is no factory engine that is capable of juice hits better than the 440.

Thanks for this thread, I was wondering how a stock B or RB engine would respond to nitrous. Would you guys say the same advice for 440's applies to 383's?

I'm way too scared to spray on stock internals.

Is is it a wet shot? If so, where does the fuel come from? Tuning the carb super fat so that you can spray a 100 shot occasionally doesn't make sense to me. If it's a wet shot that's fine but you gotta get fuel from somewhere like a small cell with electric pump.

Using this nitrous setup has been a concern,since I've had this thing sitting around for ten years.I figured this car would make the perfect candidate since it weighs in around 4300 lbs.Making sure my engine is in perfect order is gonna be my first step.I want to do a compression test and leakdown test,just to make sure eveything is holding up inside.I've got a brand new points distributor on the motor now but plan on going with a mallory or MSD HEI unit.I also have a brand new mechanical fuel pump but planned on going with a good Aeromotive electric pump and regulator and enlarging my fuel lines while everything is apart.I've got a brand new Edelbrock carb on there and it seems to run great.I think my kit can run up to 150 hp shots.Aside from that I think this may be the lucky car that gets the nitrous!

I'm way too scared to spray on stock internals.

Is is it a wet shot? If so, where does the fuel come from? Tuning the carb super fat so that you can spray a 100 shot occasionally doesn't make sense to me. If it's a wet shot that's fine but you gotta get fuel from somewhere like a small cell with electric pump.

It comes from an electric secondary pump and if done right there's no need to tune the carb because the solenoid is what activates the fuel making it richer and fuel jetting. Timing needs to be dropped and colder plugs needed. I would also suggest a purge system too. You can tee off the fuel line and use the mechanical pump. You just need a higher output pump. I wouldn't suggest a stock pump. Get a gauge to read NOS pressure. Follow the instructions!! Run the car and check spark plugs for proper fuel jetting. There are a lot of people that run these with no issues, but I heard horror stories too. Like my buddy's 02 Mustang. He had a computer controlled NOS system in his car. He hit it at the track and blew the intake right off the car blew the hood open and messed up a lot of ****. The computer/controller failed!! You never know with this stuff. Again, read the instructions and the maintenance section. If you don't go nuts with it, you'll be fine...I guess!

It's actually still coming apart.Well,I've got 99% of it apart,most of it stripped and primed.Still in the process of test fitting things and planning things out.Need to tackle a few very minor rust issues and eventually pick up a welder.It's been about 25 years since I did any real welding(arc ),so I'll need to practice with some scrap before I get things flowing again.Most likely my next step is going to be refurbishing my stub frame and painting it,but I'm trying to put money together as I'd rather have it powdercoated.

Back