Auto temp conversion info needed

5wndwcpe

Reaction score
Alright fellas, I'm looking at a '69 300 that has the dreaded Auto Temp and while I've been warned to avoid this like a hooker with an adams apple (thanks Mario) the car is rather compelling and the A/T is not a deal killer (yet).

Assuming it doesn't work or at best works marginally, what parts exactly do I need to convert it to manual, how hard are they to source and how much of a PITA is it to change over ?

I've done a search and read a number of threads that dance around the issue but none that I've found so far are comprehensive. I'm not necessarily looking for a step by step, just a parts list and cliff notes version of the procedure.

Thanks,
Pete

It shouldn't be too difficult to get the auto temp going if it's not working, admittedly it's a complicated system but folks know how to repair it.

I suspect it'd be quite a hassle to change over to manual but those who know will offer their advice and experience.

Hope you can get the car.

I have a complete A/C system non auto temp from a 73 Newport if that would help...
I'll let it go for a good price.
Send me a PM if you are interested.

1. what parts exactly do I need to convert it to manual,
2. how hard are they to source and
3. how much of a PITA is it to change over ?
1. See mr. fixit's reply above
2. Other than what you get from mr. fixit, not hard
3. I wish you well. That's all I'll say.

What would it take to update the system to something similar to what was in, say, the '80 New Yorkers? Just curious.

CBODY67

What would it take to update the system to something similar to what was in, say, the '80 New Yorkers? Just curious.

CBODY67
I'm not sure but the dash controls would need to be the right ones to fit and look correct

the 1980 NY's would have had R-12 still right? I also have a few cans of that from the 80's :D to sweeten the pot.

My main concern would be adapting the controls that would modulate the existing system. I would see no need for replacing the entire system, just modulating the various actuators and such that are already there.

R-12 would not be an issue, to me, as that's another modulation situation (of the evap pressures to work with R-134a) and replacement of rubber hoses and barbs to be compatible with R-134a also.

CBODY67

Back