Blower motor switch replacement

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
As you may know, my '78 NYB sat for a number of years before I got her. Most of the electrical system components didn't work and I've been troubleshooting and repairing things most of the summer. I just replaced the blower motor and now I have to replace the blower motor switch. I don't have the auto temp II. My question is what has to be removed from the dash/instrument panel to gain access to the blower motor switch?

I have removed several, but 65 thru 69, so don't know about 78. I had to remove the dash cover plates to get at the front screws on the switch. The switch was always (recall) attached to the 4 or 5 button electro-pneumo climate control. They pull out the bottom.

Blower switches often fail because too much resistance from corrosion causes heat with the blower on high. A high blower also often blows the fuse, not from too much current but a little corrosion on the fuse ends makes enough heat to melt the end of the fuse wire. When I was a kid, my dad checked the fuse in our AMC Matador and it looked OK, so he figured an expensive fix and we drove without AC for 5 yrs, in Florida! The fuse had just melted at the end. You can get a mini-breaker to replace the round fuse and it will reset.

I suggest adding a relay for the blower high position to save your switch next time. Search my post on it here or in www.forabodiesonly.com (forgot where).

Back