Blues Brothers C-Bodies

BuckeyeBarracuda

Reaction score
Just watched the Blues Brothers on TV again. First saw it in the Bremerton, WA theater when new. Interesting how the TMC host tells of how Chicago reacted to the actual filming and destruction (long before CGI).

Anyone know how many 74 Monacos they destroyed in making that movie and the sequel?

"Blues Brothers" movie, 60 cruisers for $400 each....

“The production crew bought those 60 cruisers for $400 each, according to reports at the time. They also used 13 different Bluesmobiles purchased from the California Highway Patrol. Most of them were destroyed by the end of filming, even though the production kept a 24-hour body shop open for repairs. In total 103 cars were, well, totaled — which, according to IMDb, set an all-time record for the number of cars crashed.”

Ah Yes, the famous destruction and mayhem inside the rundown, non-operating Dixie Mall in (once) beautiful Harvey Illinois.

Harvey, believe it or not, was a high end suburb of Chicago. Great downtown stores were city folks would come and enjoy the fresh air.

Anywho, Dixie Mall was a “first of its kind” and ran its course becoming an old eye sore.

Funny end of this story is, I believe, the City of Harvey ended up suing the Blues Brothers film company for excessive damage to a closed up mall.

An older friend was driving southbound from Chicago and was just about to flow onto the “Dan Ryan” expressway when the Blue Cherries of a Chicago Beat Cop Car pulled him over speeding in a 45mph zone. He was called back to the squad car over the loud speaker. When he came back he asked me “how much money do you have?”. Well a 5 and a 20 was my reply, what for? He said they wanted some, lol.

$5, was all I wanted to give up. So he grabbed it, went back up to the Officers and was told to open the rear door and slip it under the rear mat. After complying the friend was told, “if it ain’t enough we have buddies down the road”.

We cruised along southbound again keeping a Leary Eye attuned for anymore of those Blues Brothers style rides with the blue cherries.

The good ol’days!

Back