Brake questions...

68blackbird

Reaction score
Took the car for a little spin, got around the block, no brakes. Got home, checked MC, empty, hence, no brakes. When I got the car a coupe months ago, I checked all the fluids, added a little to MC, all has been well up to now.
IMG_20140711_150526652.jpg IMG_20140711_151613130.jpg1. What is the correct fluid level on these, checked the manual, all I saw was fill MC, to top?

Local parts store can't find the gasket that goes to this, anyone have a part #?

2. Wonder where the brake fluid went. I put car on lift and do not see any signs of leakage around any brakes lines or fittings? The signs of leakage on firewall were there when I got it, and is dry now.

IMG_20140711_150526652.jpg

IMG_20140711_151613130.jpg

I'm no expert on the single pot master but I think the gaslet has a diaphragm that would close the three holes in the cover. That is probably where the fluid is going.

Alan

The three holes are there so when you step on the brakes and move the fluid, it won't create a vacuum between the cap and gasket. Have you checked your wheel cylinders? I also have had fluid go inside the booster when leaking m/c.

I would pull all the drums and ck each wheel cylinder for leakage, clean off the firewall below the master to be sure it's not leaking

My bet is it is wheel cylinders also. If you find one bad I would at least replace the left and right of the front or rear where the leak is occurring if not all 4 of them.

I just had all the drums off a couple weeks ago, 1. To verify previous owner did actually put new shoes/cylinders/springs in, and 2. to change wheel studs. Everything was new and not leaking. Wouldn't I see some brake fluid leaking out of the bottom of the drums if cylinders were leaking? At this point the car has only been driven about once a week.Also, can someone tell me the correct fluid level in MC? seems odd to fill above the bolt hole? Thanks, Kel

I would at least fill it to a 1/4 inch from the top. You'll be safe, but without the diaphram/gasket, it will leak. Go inside the car and look at the firewall where the brake push rod goes through the firewall and see if it's wet, if it is, replace the MC. To be honest, I think it's going to be next it impossible to find the diaphram for the MC. I would just replace it anyway. The way the firewall under the MC looks,..it looks like it's leaking.

Ok, learned something new again....checked everywhere for leaks....cept on inside of firewall....found leak, new MC ordered...thanks again fellas!

Nice..! Glad ya got it ordered. By the way, before you install the new MC. Pull back the carpet and clean the firewall up. You don't want to leave the brake fluid sit on the metal. It will rust it and bubble the paint. You might want to check the backing of the carpet and the carpet itself for brake fluid. If it's wet, you'll need to clean it with carpet shampoo or something. You can clean the firewall with brake clean and repaint it. Brake fluid is nasty stuff.

Back