Build my New Yorker into a 300?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know it’s absolutely TABOO for a purist to hear. It’s been a looooooong time since I’ve worked on my New Yorker. For those of you who’ve known me and my car long enough, you know I didn’t start out with a very nice specimen.

IMG_6626.jpeg

Almost everything inside the car was absolutely garbage. Given that I’m not a purist and I wanted to build this car into something “I” like, I decided to go a “mild custom” route. Eventually I realized, I was practically building a 1968 Chrysler 300 out of the bones of this abandoned New Yorker.

I always wished I had found a 300 instead, but only recently did it hit me… if I could find the front clip of a 300 (core support, fenders, grill, hood etc…) I’d basically have a 300. Inside is going to be put back together with a 300 dash, steering wheel, 66 300 buckets… I have a set of CLEAN 300 tail lights.

The thought of this made me real excited again, but then the problem is … finding a front clip. For now, I had planned to run a 68 Newport grill I have since I prefer the smooth lines over the egg crate design of the NY. Eventually, if I can find the front clip - I’d buy everything as a whole and stick it on this NY and make it into a 300 clone.

Anyone parting out a 68 300? Holler at me!

IMG_4112.jpeg

IMG_4114.jpeg

IMG_9823.jpeg

This also means I could technically sell off any NY specific trim / items anyone needs too. I have like 3 sets of tail lights, a complete (and very nice set) of the lower rocker stainless trim… Thinking of listing an entire LOT of 68 parts for someone to just take off my hands in Santa Maria California to be quite honest… Keep your eyes peeled for a future post regarding that. I also have 2 really nice black dash pads for a 68 too. Someone should take them off my hands!

IMHO, while you wouldn't exactly be changing it to a 300, using the grille etc. to customize the car would look good.

Keep the clean look by losing the lower SS trim and not using the 300 emblems.

My personal choice would be to use the '68 front with a '67 300 rear. That's probably more than you want to do, but it can't hurt to dream.

BTW, my '65 300L has New Yorker tail lights. I've seen pictures of a few that have had this change.... Just a slightly different look.

IMHO, while you wouldn't exactly be changing it to a 300, using the grille etc. to customize the car would look good.

Keep the clean look by losing the lower SS trim and not using the 300 emblems.

My personal choice would be to use the '68 front with a '67 300 rear. That's probably more than you want to do, but it can't hurt to dream.

BTW, my '65 300L has New Yorker tail lights. I've seen pictures of a few that have had this change.... Just a slightly different look.

I’m doing the opposite, going from a NY to a 300! I don’t yet have the front end assy of a 300 though. There was a complete (yet absolutely thrashed) 68 300 for sale in my area not long ago for only $1,000 too. I regret not getting it for the front end alone!!

I love your idea of ditching the lower SS trim, it’s along the lines of the idea I also had. The 68 2 door hardtops have some of the most awesome / beautiful lines and curves of any automobile from the 60s!! Removing the excess trim / “ugly” stuff will really bring out the gorgeous lines of the car’s body and let it speak for itself. As for the stance; nothing slammed and undrivable, but I do want a slightly lowered stance with a bit of a rake. It would look great with the Cragar SS wheels I already have on it. Disc brakes, rebuilt suspension and drive train - I know it will handle beautifully!

Back