Carburetor for 1978 Chrysler New Yorker with 400 engine

Does the old carb have electric choke?
No, not in the same way as the newer aftermarket carbs do. If there is an "electric assist" choke heater, it is part of the factory divorced choke thermostat assembly attached to the intake manifold. It runs through a heating element modulator item that is nearby. Consult your installation person to see if that circuit could be used to power the aftermarket carb's electric choke mechanism.

CBODY67

My 77 NYB has a 400 in it. The lean burn is completely removed and I have an edelbrock 650 carb with electric choke, and a pertronix distributor and electronic ignition. The car runs great, way better than with the Carter TQ carb. My lean burn was non-functional when I bought the car.you

I am not sure how you are interpreting what I said above to reach your conclusion.

I am recommending you replace the lean burn carburetor with an Edelbrock AVS2 of 650 CFM and pull the "Lean Burn" computer off the car and replace it with an earlier distributor, like 70 or 71 model years for a 383 cu. in. application that @halifaxhops would have. Take the "Lean Burn Computer" and smash it and put it in the trash. You would need to make sure you have an intake manifold that would accomodate an AVS2 carburetor and deal with any rewiring as needed to accomodate the distributor and removal of the Lean Burn Computer. Like I said, the Lean Burn computer only controlled spark advance which made the car run badly in itself with little power and terrible fuel consumption, so you want to just get rid of that computer.
Where do you wire the electric choke to?

No, not in the same way as the newer aftermarket carbs do. If there is an "electric assist" choke heater, it is part of the factory divorced choke thermostat assembly attached to the intake manifold. It runs through a heating element modulator item that is nearby. Consult your installation person to see if that circuit could be used to power the aftermarket carb's electric choke mechanism.

CBODY67
I am thinking of going with an Edelbrock 1906 Avs2 and using an adapter Edelbrock 2696. Do you think that will be a good choice?

It will work with an AVS2 but you would leave half the benefits of converting to the AVS2 carburetor behind. The computer only controls the spark timing/advance and nothing else. Taking off the computer and replacing it with a distributor is way better so just get a competent guy with some electrical wiring knowledge to wire up a regular distributor with good amounts of spark advance available that would be governed by the distributor you would replace the lean burn computer with. You would also need to replace the intake manifold to bolt on an AVS2 carburetor.

Get someone competent to help you if you are not experienced with this kind of changeover and you will enjoy the car immensely more - night and day better. Things done by half are never the way to go IMO. The formals can be nice cars overall as they are quiet and ride well going down the highway and exude some opulence when the overall package is done right under the hood and you will pay for these changes in terms of fuel savings over time. Go the whole 9 yards.
What about the old manual choke hole? Do I need to buy something to cover it?

What about the old manual choke hole? Do I need to buy something to cover it?
What manifold have you decided to put on your car - show us a photo since to my knowledge, you will need to change it to one that will accommodate the AVS2 carburetor? Show us a photo please.

I am just going to use the adapter and leave old manifold. What do I do with the hole from old choke?

I am not sure what the manifold looks like relative to the choke well on a 1975 model. Photo might help....................................

I am just going to use the adapter and leave old manifold. What do I do with the hole from old choke?
Answered in the other post but I run a 12V from the Ballast Resistor run side to the carb. The choke well is left open.

See if it has a little removable tin bucket with a gasket. If it does, leave the bucket and gasket bolted down.

Answered in the other post but I run a 12V from the Ballast Resistor run side to the carb. The choke well is left open.
I thought that you could use the wire that connected to the old carburetor thermostat?

Can the EGR be deleted both on lean burn and non lean burn?
Yes it can be deleted I have a 78 newport with a 400 I just did the lean burn delete I bought the summit brand vacuum advance distributor and ignition box kit came with wiring and all. Then I rebuild the factory tq but went with a smaller set of needles I might go with bigger jets down the road but runs well as is. I also had to drill the base plate of the carb for a ported vacuum port so it can be done or just find an earlier model tq (I like the thermoquad so I stick with them). My car runs much better then it did.

I thought that you could use the wire that connected to the old carburetor thermostat?
You can but you will have to check the voltage as I think it has a resistor on it that controls voltage and may not have enough juice for the EDDY

Back