Carburetor stuck and increases idle rev without pedal and top flap isn’t opening on throttle. 72 Polara

72polarbear

Reaction score
After driving fine all day when I was parking it, it would idle way higher than before. Once turned off and back on the idle speed would just climb up to 1k when it used to be 400. The previous owners did leave a mess of washers and welds but I can’t find any part where It might get snagged.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is an absolute mess and disaster waiting to happen,dude. You have to get the proper linkage setup or it will never be right and no one will be able help you.

That is an absolute mess and disaster waiting to happen,dude. You have to get the proper linkage setup or it will never be right and no one will be able help you.
Any idea where to start or where to find a linkage set up?

Obviously, with that Carter 4bbl, it did not come from the factory that way. Probably a 2bbl, I suspect.

The items you need are in either the Edelbrock online parts listings or in the Holley online parts listings. There is one part which attaches to the main throttle hook-up and the Chrysler-spec throttle stud (which all of the kickdown linkage and springs might attach to). That will get the carb-end of things more correct, leaving the kickdown linkage after that.

Find a similar Carter/Edelbrock 4bbl in their catalog and look at their recommended items which relate to Chrysler installations.

Try putting that smaller spring inside of the larger spring and attach them at the same locations.

You can find what the OEM linkages are supposed to look like in the FSM for your year, or close to it.

Hot base idle should be more like 600rpm than 400rpm.

What model year is the vehicle? Carb stamp number (frt rh lower edge by the hold-down nut).

Now, as to the increasing idle speed . . . that's another situation.

CBODY67

Any idea where to start or where to find a linkage set up?
A want ad here on the site is the best place to start. Do some homework and make sure you post what you have (model, engine, carb, ETC

It appears you have some sort of air-gap,high-rise intake on it. If so, factory linkage won’t be much help. Might have to use a cable setup for the kickdown.

Here’s the setup I had on my 72 Polara 360 with Edelbrock carb and Weiand stealth intake

F9BFBE27-B30A-4BB7-9F5F-0395931AF6C6.jpeg

Which top flap is not opening? Primary’s or secondaries? They have 2 entirely different functions. The primary one is the choke and it needs to open. Looks like you have a GM application Carter AVS.

just because that linkage looks ugly dosent mean it cannot function correctly.

Which top flap is not opening? Primary’s or secondaries? They have 2 entirely different functions. The primary one is the choke and it needs to open. Looks like you have a GM application Carter AVS.

just because that linkage looks ugly dosent mean it cannot function correctly.
It’s the one with the black rod going to right on top

A bit of a mess but it can be sorted. Once it's warm and idling on it's own, go under the hood and mess with it. Wiggle the linkage around, see where there binding points are. See that it's returning all the way to the idle stop. Watch the elec choke function as it warms up. If you're able to pull the carb down to the correct idle on the stop with your hand you should be able to figure out which piece is binding

If the choke isn't working I would expect it to sputter and stall when warm, not idle up.

You don’t want to be driving around with a cobbled up throttle linkage. You want it to work flawlessly. You don’t want a back yard engineered thing that’s not working right to hang up and cause you to run over someone in the piggly wiggly parking lot. It won’t cost much to do it right. They like to thump the FSM here but what you have going on has very little to do with anything Chrysler ever engineered. Good luck and be safe!

Back