changing over to a 4 speed?

Tfin

Reaction score
Could someone tell me what 4 speed setups will work in a 66 fury 383 car thanks?

this is what you need to put a 4spd in a c body 65-66 . plus a 66-69 a833 from a b or c body . your auto driveline will work asis .

DSC08595.JPG

not yet , lol . no i should hang on to it for my 65 880 rag conversion . bought it all from one 66 fury car . hang in there , i see them come up for sale every once an a while here on fcbo .

Does anyone know where I can get the clutch fork required for this set up? Have one for a pivot ball type but bell housing has the non pivot ball style pivot bracket.

If you were referring to my comment / question that is the type of bellhousing I got with the 65 Fury III parts car I bought with a 440 in it.

I guess I miss spoke saying this set up. To clarify I meant my setup which has everything pictured with exception to the clutch fork. Looking for one.

That and those short shift linkages. The ones that I have are way too long.

that the early type b body 64-69 , 70 the trans changed to have a different mount location and the e body shifter mount added to the rear of the tail stock . the trans mount should be the same as your auto , yoke n driveline also . i'll check that fork , but the bellhousing is the same as the b body one of the same year . 130 tooth flywhl 10 1/2 '' clutch , same as my 66 sat had . if you plan on the larger clutch , you most use the 143 tooth flywhl for the 11'' clutch . and those bellhousings have a larger reg hub hole .

Strangely enough I have the 130 tooth flywheel with an 11 inch clutch. The pressure plate covers the entire flywheel except for the ring gear. I have measured the clutch and the face of the pressure plate and both are 11". I have seen larger flywheel which I don't see how they could fit inside the bellhousing I have. Bellhousing bolts up to my 383. Does a 440 take a larger bellowing?

no , the 68up track package started that 143 t flywhl and 143 t bell housing is special too . glad your clutch is 11'' , thats a heavy car . well 70 or 71 started the 143 t use on the 383 . not sure if they used the same track package trans . so to say theat big block mopar has three different flywhl bell housings set ups , 130 , 143 , and of course the hemi was 172 . if you look at scatter sheild bells there is three different starter mounts , one for each different flywhl dia . i'm not supprized your has a 11'' clutck , i got a 12'' on a 143 t flywhl . between cars and trucks there is alot of stuff out there .

I got it off of a late 70's 440 which was sitting in a 65 Fury III parts car I bought for the 4 speed conversion stuff. Flywheel, pressure plate and clutch were mounted on the back of the motor. The rest was in the guys shed. The 440 crankshaft was not drilled for a pilot bearing nor did it have the jeep style needle bearing in it so my guess someone was in the middle of a conversion. So, the 130 tooth flywheel definitely will not work on a 440 or only on certain years? Never tried fitting my bellhousing on the 440. Mopar sure did mix up the parts even between Fury models of the same year. Thanks for all the great info.

There's also the retro fit for a 10.5 inch clutch on the 130 tooth flywheel that puts a 10.95 inch clutch with scalloped edges on the pressure plate to allow the larger disc to fit under the cover. That's what I've been running for years.

well cast crank motors have a odd balance issue . is the flywheel got any weights on it ? but back to your statement on 440's the blocks and cranks having the same patterns , 6 bolts crank hubs and 8 bolt crank hubs . crank drillings for a stick was not always done . the car 350 361 383 400 413 440 all use a 6 bolt crank flange some early wedges didn't have threaded bolt holes like the early hemis/polys . 426 use a 6 bolt on the street singe four motor , and the maxwedge 413 / 426 had 6/8 bolt cranks . well as for trucks/motorhome stuff with sticks used 8 bolt cranks and deep hole . and the b blocks 350 361 383 400 rb block 383 413 426 440 all used the same bell pattern

There's also the retro fit for a 10.5 inch clutch on the 130 tooth flywheel that puts a 10.95 inch clutch with scalloped edges on the pressure plate to allow the larger disc to fit under the cover. That's what I've been running for years.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you for comparison?

Back