Compression drop 519 heads to 452 heads on a 65 383

Reaction score
I have a set of both 516 and 452 cylinder heads for my 65 383 I am building. Would like to know what the drop in compression would be if going from the stock 516's which from what I'm told produce 10:1 compression to 452 cylinder heads (open chamber) on the same engine? I realize the hardened seat advantage and the slightly larger exhaust valves of the 452's but I know compression equals power.

Last edited:
They are 516 castings.
If it is a 2 bbl 383 it is a 8.5:1 engine, with the minimum CC's, (NHRA rulebook/ as designed) yours are bigger than that number, they all are. Probably in the neighborhood of 79-80cc's. The 452 heads will measure out at 90-92cc's on a short stroke engine like 383 it would be a significant drop. The higher compression HP and maybe 4 bbl (not sure) will be better.
I would keep the 516 closed chamber heads more turbulence in combustion chamber to resist detonation. The small valve will not hurt much if not using headers and spinning it over 5000 RPM. The valve can be increased to 1.74 when rebuilding the head, the gain will be more from valve sitting high on the seat than the size itself. Think: valve just lifting off the seat rather than coming up out of a hole to get away from the seat. "Good" valve job 101 right there.
If you are changing pistons this info needs to be thought of when choosing pistons and machining for deck height.
Hope this helps.

Yeah as soon as I posted it I saw I had a brain fart! 516's! My 383 is a 4 barrel Sport Fury. Heard that the 516's have 75cc combustion chambers.

When she goes back together it will have what is reportedly what was dealer installed for the FBI back in 65 on this car according to the FBI agent who drove it and ended up owning it which will be an Offy dual quad intake with twin Holley carbs (450 cfm each)

Last edited:
my 65 880 rag 383 2bbl , to twin fours 660 holley's inline
DSC00961.JPG
, solid cam , headers with 452's would pull to 6k 120mph in second (2.91/76 r/e ?) , then shifter into drive and it would lift the nose and rocket way , better then 140mph . wasv just a 2 bbl 383 before it roared . swapped a 6 pck for the twin fours , used the 480/284 hydr cam , didn't run as hard on the top , but was more townable . it had 130k on it when i started .

Cool. Any cam suggestions for a 383 running twin 450 cfm carbs with a 4 speed and 3.23 gears? Is that the cam you ran with the dual quad? How was the idle?

Last edited:
I put 906s on my '67 Newport 383 4bbl and I figured it made a low-to-mid 9 CR from the spec'd 10.0CR. I believe 452s have a few more CC than the 906s? Still got trace rattle at WOT kickdown with 92 pump octane super unleaded.

The main CR loss was the result of piston compression height decrease on the 8.2 CR motors. On the 440s, the flat top piston is .125" "in the hole" at TDC.

If you bought new pistons, they might be .020" "destroked" to allow for lower octane fuels. Meaning the compression height is .020" less than the factory pistons they will replace. This started happening in the middle 1980s, as best I recall. Unless you bought factory OEM pistons from the dealership (if available).

And then there's the issue of composition head gaskets replacing the steel shim gaskets which might have been used in OEM production. .018" compressed thickness vs. .040-.060" compressed thickness.

The open chamber heads were supposed to breathe better, the larger 1.74" exhaust valves included. They were also an emissions-related situation. David Vizzard's cylinder head book (based on Chevy small block V-8s) first posed the theory of using closed chamber heads for additional "squish" in the mixture. The later pistons with particular raised areas effectively made an open chamber into a closed chamber. More ultimate power, it seems, resulted. Detonation was not a real issue as long as the squish height was less than .020" between the piston crown and the flat part of the head's combustion chamber section.

As for port flow, the closed chamber head intake runners look pretty much identical to the 906 runners. From an article in one of the Mopar magazines, the 452s flow the same as the 906s when the MP Porting Templates are used to port the runners. It seems that what we were told, incrementally over the years, might not have been exactly accurate, as technology increased and we learned more about things. IMHO.

CBODY67

Cool. I ended up here after retiring from the military. No family in the area but instantly fell in love with the town as soon as I drove into town.

Last edited:
cams? well i ran a sig erson solid flat tappet , it has a lobe separation of 110 deg some over lap , had to play with the cam timing setup a bit for good vac for the brakes , you should not get crazy with it . think the next step up from the gtx / rr / rt cams were very street friendly . think 112 - 114 lobe spacing would drive nice in a flat tappet style . rollers are a different animal , a 110 lobe spacing is very driver friendly

Probably staying with hydraulic flat tappet. Having never heard this motor run I have no idea what the stock cam idles like. I would definitely want a rough but not radical idle but still have a cam which is designed to make tons of torque since that is what moves the vehicle.

You might estimate the pressure in your cylinders using Boyles Law, namely, P1V1 = P2V2. Solving for P2 you get P2 = P1(V1/V2) Each expression for volume V actually will be head volume plus whatever cylinder volume remains (if any) at TDC, So call V1 = V516 + VTDC and V2 = V425 + VTDC

Its just basic algebra and Romper Room physics. Now this gives you Pressure. For COMPRESSION, Take a ratio of volume at bottom to volume at TDC. DO include the head volumes in your sums here.

Back