Did I Get the Wrong Booster

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

So I am eliminating the LEEDs brake conversion system (why I am, I'll save for another day) on my 1969 Fury III column shift car. Anyway, I was able to score a complete disc brake setup from a 1972 New Yorker. I took EVERYTHING right down to the brake pedal assembly. I also snagged the booster. I got so excited, I got ahead of myself, and just (as in last Monday) sent the booster to the Power Brake Booster Rebuilder in Washington state (formerly Booster Dewey) for a complete rebuild.

Now, here I am and I just read a couple of threads saying that the 1972 booster will not fit my 1969. Is that statement true or false? Did I just screw myself out of a couple of hundred bucks, AND not have the correct power brake booster? I thought all of the Fuseladge bodies were the same.

Did I miss something? Can I make this booster fit if in fact it is incorrect?

Thanks,

Tim northeast of Detroit,
1969 Fury III

Do you have a pic of the booster that you sent out for rebuild? Bendix dual diaphram?

The one he got will likely be the KH single diaphragm unit (wider) for disc brakes.

1969s still used the skinnier Bendix, and the transitioned in 1970 to the other.

By 1972 the body and firewall started to evolve - so things may have changed enough to pose problems, BUT... ya never know.

While I could be wrong, I was always led to believe believe your 72 disc booster SHOULD fit on a 69. Column shift linkage may be the issue.

A 70 and up single diaphragm booster will interfrre with column shift linkages on 65-68 C bodies. It bolts on and works, but prevents the shifter from getting past Drive and selecting Low I and II. Drive is still available.

Last edited:
I have a decent amount of experience with fuselage brakes, and while I've never done exactly what you're doing, I'm 99% sure the '72 booster will bolt right into your '69.

FWIW
Based on cars I've seen, 71 was the start of the larger-dia single diaphragm, 1970 still used the Bendix dual-diaphragm.

Back