Drivers door hard to open from inside

darth_linux

Reaction score
1966 Newport

So my driver side door has been getting harder to open from inside lately. A lot of the time I have to give it a little nudge with my shoulder to get it to pop open. Here’s a picture of some new wear I am seeing on the door latch mechanism. What do you think needs to be adjusted?

FWIW it opens easily from outside.

IMG_2529.jpeg

IMG_2530.jpeg

you can check the hinges just by pulling up on the door. if it is sagging, you can "adjust" it up by opening it just enough to put a block of wood under the rearmost body of the door, then jack it with a floor jack. careful of the door gap at the front of the door. don't let the door touch the fender.

The outside button pushes directly on a paddle actuator on the latch itself. The inside handle runs a rod between it and the latch, to a different engagement point. Perhaps there is some wear on those holes in the latch? Perhaps a bit of adjustment in the inside latch adjustment to tighten things up?

CBODY67

The outside button pushes directly on a paddle actuator on the latch itself. The inside handle runs a rod between it and the latch, to a different engagement point. Perhaps there is some wear on those holes in the latch? Perhaps a bit of adjustment in the inside latch adjustment to tighten things up?

CBODY67
I’m thinking that because there are these new marks from metal to metal contact, it’s probably sagging a bit. I’m gonna lift up on the door a bit from inside before opening next time and see if that helps.

Adjust the catch on the car. Three minute job because that shows the wear. I had the the same issue DON’T start jacking the door; good grief, the permanent damage that could cause: cringe!

Adjust the catch on the car. Three minute job because that shows the wear. I had the the same issue DON’T start jacking the door; good grief, the permanent damage that could cause: cringe!
Thanks, I’ll check the FSM

In the door adjustment section of the FSM, it mentions that as the door is closed, the door itself should lift slightly when it closes.

Back