If any of you have converted to EFI
I would appreciate you sharing the following

Your engine size?
Did you install or someone else?
Approx cost parts/labor?
Was it worth it?

Thank you,
73 New Yorker

Few years ago I did the Fitech when it came out.

360ci
Probably 1300$ total. Installed myself. Easy.

Was it worth it? Yes and no.

If you know carbs and you are looking to buy a new carb, spent $1000 on a carb and do that. It is worth it if you aren't afraid to learn EFI software. It took me a long time with lots of Log data and adjustments to get it somewhat right. It is NOT tuning itself. I would probably do it again but I would buy holley over fitech because their software is better! Fitech uses sophisticated and correct terms for everything and in the holley software it is more compared to a setting on a carb. My EFI also controls timing. I love that because I can literally adjust timing in different areas as I am driving down the road.

I have a classic FAST mpi, that's what existed in 2005. I did it for the turbocharging of the 383.
The drive around sommelier

Back when add-on EFI was still new, it was about "1000cfm" flows, horsepower, and such, not improved engine efficienies, by observation. I bought one of the earlier Holley 2bbl EFI units to go onto my '80 Newport 360 2bbl engine. EFI (TBI) to go with the factory electronic ignition control module. A "full electronic situation", as I envisioned it. All turning was analog and WOT turning was done manually, unless you bought the add-on Oxygen Sensor kit. Came with universal wiring harness and instructions. That was "state of the art" back then, which makes the modern self-learning EFI units look like little more than it would take to replace a carburetor, by comparison. It's all still in the box, as I bought it for about the same price that a new spreadbore carb costs now. One of those "future projects" that's still in the future. Seems like it's rated at less than 400 horsepower, which would fit a lot of things, once the TBI is adapted to an intake manifold.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have a classic FAST mpi, that's what existed in 2005. I did it for the turbocharging of the 383.
The drive around sommelier
Guess I fell asleep...
Wot is easy to tune with O2. The drive around behavior and mpg is a lot harder with non self learn. I'd be interested in trying a sniper kit

I suspect your New Yorker has the original 440. I have the Edelbrock AVS 2 carburetor on top of a factory 1970 manifold on the 440 in my 1970 Fury convertible. I suspect that the only difference between my engine and yours is that mine has little more compression ratio, 9.2:1, whereas yours has 8.2:1 at least according to the factory shop manual. I don't think that the ratio of air/fuel mix volume when the piston is at lowest point of travel to air/fuel volume when the piston is at the top of its travel is a big enough issue to make a difference with this carburetor. I think AVS 2 would be a great choice for your car and give you an electric choke. The electric choke is pretty easy to adjust and directions come with the carburetor. Much easier set up than a fuel injection system and will save you some dollars too.

Correct
440 / 8.2 compression
T VIN RB
Two different mechanics suggested a Holley 750 on top of an Edelbrock manifold. Anytime you’re willing to share an opinion I’d be willing to listen. Thank you again for your input.

IMHO, the guys that changed to EFI aren't the type that had their mechanic do it. It's not cheap on both money and time to do it right. They've done it right, and seem to be happy with the results.

The EFI (when done right and all squared away) has some advantages in tuning ability and ultimately, better drivability. Are you up for tuning and learning curve to figure out how to tune the EFI? That's the real question.

A good carb, adjusted properly etc. can be pretty good and probably best bang for the buck with the least amount of frustration.

If you really want to replace the carb, look at the Edelbrock offerings rather than the suggested (IMHO too big) Holley. But if it were me, I'd send the TQ off to Woodruff Carbs for a rebuild.

This is your first adventure with a classic car... Best advice is to keep it simple. Just work with what's there and don't try to make a modern car out of it. Keeping it simple means that you can have more fun with your car... It's not any fun trying to figure out fuel curves (OK, fun for some guys) and even less fun if the car sits at the shop. Get some wheel time and have some fun first.

The EFI question was just curiosity. At this point I don’t have any intentions of switching to EFI.
I will be more clear with my questions in the future.
Your advice is solid and that’s pretty much what I’ve been getting since I joined the forum. It’s good to know I’m in the right place.
Thank you

Actually you just set the target AFR and the computer will learn the amount of fuel it needs to reach target AFR. Now sometimes that wont work 100% depending on your engine and then you have to play with how fast and how much its supposed to learn. Accel Pump you will need to dial in yourself and that was the most frustrating part because the learn effect interferes if you're off enough. The throttle response and how the engine behaves in general have improved a lot. I have some good options setup for timing that is also controlled by the ECU! Its a good conversion but might take you some learning. Thats why I said if you are unsure buy a top of the line all out adjustable quickfuel carb

If any of you have converted to EFI
I would appreciate you sharing the following

Your engine size?
Did you install or someone else?
Approx cost parts/labor?
Was it worth it?

Thank you,
73 New Yorker
I put a Holley Sniper on the 400 in my Wagon. Kit was around $1300, and I opted to add the Holley Hyperspark Distributor & CD ignition box set up so I could control my timing. I think it ended up being about $1800.

I did the installation myself—The worst part was bending up the 3/8 fuel line and installing it without a lift—otherwise, it's pretty easy to install and get setup.

I think it was worth it. The wagon has great throttle response now and for a 4600lb sled, it pulls pretty well. The fuel economy is still pretty terrible, but that feels kind of unavoidable with a big block in a fat c-body turning 3400ish rpm at highway speed. Also, it's nice having all the information about how the Sniper is delivering fuel and controlling timing in real-time, and being able to tweak it on the fly.

Back