Fan shroud finish

WSP

Reaction score
Detailing my '68 300 engine compartment. After cleaning, noticed that the fan shroud has a few smooth shiny spots, but is mostly dull black plastic. Were these originally sprayed with a gloss clear, or should I just try to polish up the plastic a little? Other suggestions?
Thanks.

The shrouds are just black plastic. If you were to paint it I would suggest a high heat engine paint in satin or semi gloss.

They are bare plastic in dark gray, not black. They look odd when painted black

Detailing my '68 300 engine compartment. After cleaning, noticed that the fan shroud has a few smooth shiny spots, but is mostly dull black plastic. Were these originally sprayed with a gloss clear, or should I just try to polish up the plastic a little? Other suggestions?
Thanks.

I would clean it really well, spray it down with 303 and wipe off the excess with a micro-fiber towel.

Might wash them well with normal Dawn (or similar to remove any residual grease and such) and then, after they dry well, take a rag and wipe them down with Armorall and watch the color come back and look nice. After it all soaks in, then wipe/polish them. I had great luck wiping dusty old NOS and NORS parts box labels (which looked to be quite faded) and making them look almost new again doing this. That was before I started to use STP Son-of-a-Gun rather than Armorall. Did not have access to 303 back then, so it mightr work well, too.

NO paint. Quite normal to see the way the plastic flowed into the mold, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Follow up on FAN SHROUD FINISH:
I washed mine several times with Dawn. Cleaned up the dirt and grease well, but still had some blotchy dull and shiny areas. Really looked like it was sprayed with a gloss clear at one time, that was unraveling. Tried using polishing compound on a rag, which helped improved finish somewhat. Novus plastic polish left a white film. Then I tested some acetone lightly on paper towel on the bottom. It really helped, so used all over, doing a small area at a time and wiping off. It took off the shiny painted areas, made the color much more homogeneous and gave the shroud an clean appearing black plastic finish. The acetone on a Qtip was great at cleaning hard to get areas. Washed the shroud with soap and water afterwards. Done.

Back