Fluid Damper versus OE replacement Dampener.

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
1973 440 with Forged crank, Stock LY rods, TRW L 2266F .030 pistons.

At the point of ordering my final parts before assembly and trying to decide whether I should be going towards and Fluid Damper or sticking with a stock style Dampener.

So I'd like some opinions, up till now I've always used just replacement Dampeners. That being said, I'm looking to build an engine that is definitely a bit above stock.

Nick

IMHO, since you are using an LY rod on a forged crank, it's safe to assume this is an internal balanced motor.

I'd stay with a stock balancer on this one. I don't think there's much, if any, to gain here. Spend your money somewhere else.

Fluid Dampers started out as a drag racing item, rather than anything to do with a stock replacement part. Back then, it was priced out of the realm of most "hot rodders" budget, as I recall. Neat concept that has held up well, but for a price. IF you need one for the particular drag racing class, then you need one. Otherwise, a good stock damper should work for you.

Getting the motor balanced with the combination of rods and aftermarket pistons?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I run a fluidampr on my 12V Cummins motor and it's a lot larger than the OEM unit and has caused some clearance issues for the fan and accessories etc, I would suspect that the BB mopar unit might be the same? I would go with a new replacement OEM unit.

For normal rpm range, I'd go OEM. High rpm I would not use LY rods (because of ? time on them). Fluid dampener will not fix bad balance, but you buy it for life, they are rebuildable.
They are well suited for high rpm. With those pistons and rods rpm is not your friend, therefore fluid dampener is not needed.

Last edited:
Back