FOR SALE 1961 Plymouth Valiant Wagon $3000/OBO

I am a wagon guy and I love most a bodies but that is one of the ugliest wagons ever built

Really? I think they are really cool when restored. Nothing else like them. I would love to have that one if it weren't a Florida car where it is probably rust laden.

I don't mind the front end but the rest is an aquired taste. Two words - steam punk.

WhoTF signed off on this? Seriously?

00V0V_ajRfehECRKO_600x450.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I love it but I would never put that design in my portfolio.
There's 16 levels of funky in that design.

He had other things on his mind at the time. Everytime he walked thru the clay mockup room he probably muttered, Yah, yah, whatever... and kept going.

He had other things on his mind at the time. Everytime he walked thru the clay mockup room he probably muttered, Yah, yah, whatever... and kept going.
To quote from Virgil Exner, Visoneer, on page 112 it cites a quote from Bill Brownlie who was involved at the time, " "Ex was intensely involved in the development of the Valiant" and "He wanted an elegant look as opposed to cheap, thus the six window roof and the Ferrari mouth". The Valiant was initially supposed to be called the Falcon, but Ford requested that it be able to use the name instead, and Exner decided to let them have the Falcon name as a gesture of give and take among competitors, and thus Exner preferred the Valiant name as an alternative.

Actually the Valiant was considered very successful at the time as well. I think they are really neat vehicles, especially compared to the dowdy Falcons and Corvairs (unsafe at any speed). I did like the second generation Corvairs though - a lot from a styling standpoint and other improvements.

krasl03.jpg

1960%20Ford%20Falcon-04.jpg

8a83b18697473d0e2906ff407fed02d5.jpg

But the 1965 and later Corvairs take the prize in my eyes:

orchid1.jpg

Back