fuel tank restoration tip needed

Jonesboy2

Reaction score
How's it going everyone, I'm in the process of doing a lining in my fuel tank, tonight I will etch it and tomorrow put the liner in. The tanks holes both have inward bulges to where liquids will not drain smoothly out. For the cleaning process I had to rock it back and forth to get most of the water out and then put paper towels on a broom stick to soak the rest up. Any tips on how to go about getting all the etch and liner out? I figured I can't really soak up or scrape the liner puddles out cause it would remove the surrounding liner out as well. Any tips would be appreciated! Thank you in advance

etchin...no clue...liner?...would just rotate tank till it was fully covered and settled in granted its not a whole lot but you want a whole lot to ensure good coverage

A. if it were me would possibly weld in a bung to drain it like a oil pan...
B. use air...tip it over with spout down and put the air to it and try to blow excess out
C. put a sacrificial hole and use that to drain then fix hole
D. price etching and liner compared to new and go with new

went with D. when l found out lt.d cost me almost as much as new,,,their even cheaper if your in the US
if new wasn't available woulda went route A. which woulda made any future dealings with gas tank or sender easyer

I though about doing you're a. Route but couldn't think of what to weld in, and I wanted to do a new tank but they don't make them sadly. Any suggestion as what to weld in?

Call me chicken, but there's no way in hell that I'll weld on an old gas tank! Life just ain't long enough for that foolishness!

you two are to fast for me....
think the easyyyest thing to find would be a bung for a 02 sensor that they weld onto headers....readily available at any speed shop and designed to be welded....
have any old oil pan? if so cut the one offa it...grind ,prep and weld to tank

CAUTION...as per if you go this route yer welding on a gas tank...once tank is lined would give it good rinse with cold water before and after welding ect and drain and dry before welding bung on...liner product may be flammable and leave fumes in tank...when in drought ask questions....
dawned on me when l looked at yer sig and saw the wagon...from what folks are saying their non existent so putting a bung in is a good bet for future issues
... another thing ld consider doing if l were in your position is setting it up on bbq style aettup where you can turn it over like a rotisserie ...would then throw in half pail of pea gravel and some water and rock the crap outa it till all the rust ect has been knocked lose...then would clean out and then etch and coat....l do the same for cleaning inside of bottles and washer bottles ect...little bit of sand,water and shake..cleans them up nicely
when l took my tank out was great on the outside but inside was nassssty and couldn't belive the rust in there...was like someone glued pea gravel inside...it was that rough...anyway food for thought...hopefully someone here that's gone through it will pipe up with advise

quick question...am guessing the neck on this tank is non removeable unlike the 70 fury gas tanks which are?

Last edited:
Just a suggestion. It wasn't more than about 2 years ago that I got a really nice clean fuel tank for my fuselage wagon from Wildcat Auto Parts - I was very surprised at how nice it was. No rust inside at all. You might want to check with Vanessa there to see if they have some more of them. Give her a call at (503) 668-7786. I believe that would be your best alternative since those tanks are not being reproduced by anyone. They took a lot of tanks out over the years and have them in storage I believe. Don't be shy about calling them back if you don't hear back in a few days. They can get pretty busy and sometimes orders don't get followed up as they would like. So be patient and then call back if needed. Good luck.

you two are to fast for me....
think the easyyyest thing to find would be a bung for a 02 sensor that they weld onto headers....readily available at any speed shop and designed to be welded....
have any old oil pan? if so cut the one offa it...grind ,prep and weld to tank

CAUTION...as per if you go this route yer welding on a gas tank...once tank is lined would give it good rinse with cold water before and after welding ect and drain and dry before welding bung on...liner product may be flammable and leave fumes in tank...when in drought ask questions....
dawned on me when l looked at yer sig and saw the wagon...from what folks are saying their non existent so putting a bung in is a good bet for future issues
... another thing ld consider doing if l were in your position is setting it up on bbq style aettup where you can turn it over like a rotisserie ...would then throw in half pail of pea gravel and some water and rock the crap outa it till all the rust ect has been knocked lose...then would clean out and then etch and coat....l do the same for cleaning inside of bottles and washer bottles ect...little bit of sand,water and shake..cleans them up nicely
when l took my tank out was great on the outside but inside was nassssty and couldn't belive the rust in there...was like someone glued pea gravel inside...it was that rough...anyway food for thought...hopefully someone here that's gone through it will pipe up with advise

quick question...am guessing the neck on this tank is non removeable unlike the 70 fury gas tanks which are?
Yeah I already cleaned it out with acetone and lag bolts slosh around, then a heavy duty degreaser. it's ready for the etch and liner which I have sitting on my counter. I just have decide whether to weld a drain on or not. Yeah I searched allover the Internet to no avail on finding one. Then someone else on here told me they are no longer made. And yeah the filler neck is like an inch long and is part of the tank. It's right there when you open the fuel door

Just a suggestion. It wasn't more than about 2 years ago that I got a really nice clean fuel tank for my fuselage wagon from Wildcat Auto Parts - I was very surprised at how nice it was. No rust inside at all. You might want to check with Vanessa there to see if they have some more of them. Give her a call at (503) 668-7786. I believe that would be your best alternative since those tanks are not being reproduced by anyone. They took a lot of tanks out over the years and have them in storage I believe. Don't be shy about calling them back if you don't hear back in a few days. They can get pretty busy and sometimes orders don't get followed up as they would like. So be patient and then call back if needed. Good luck.
Ooooo alright I'll keep that handy if my restoring this tank does not go well. Thanks for the lead!

chicken. once flushed out no fumes no flames no explosion.

I accept, yes I'm chicken, actually quite an old chicken and I plan on getting to be a really old chicken so no welding gas tanks for me! :eek::D
I have done it, we put the steam cleaner wand inside it after cleaning it and let it fill with steam. Then start welding. I have also heard of guy's pumping exhaust into the tank before welding.

Running carbon monoxide through the tank enables you to weld it. Especially if you have an older vehicle (pre OBD II) to pump in the exhaust from. You still need the stones though to put flame to a gas tank.

What I decided to do is: I bought a random auto zone pcv valve, I'm gonna cut the end off that a hose would clamp on to, drill a hole in the tank the size of the cut end of the pcv valve, weld that on flush with the outside of the tank, and just put a small length of hose with a plug in it to cap it off. This will allow it to drain the sealant easily! And anything in the future. I didn't want something that threaded in and out cause I didn't know if threading in a plug after it was sealed would remove the sealer in the thread zone and cause it to start peeling internally. I'll post pics when I'm done!

So I went to autozone and bought a random 3 dollar pcv valve, cut the end off that looked like what a fuel hose would go on, welded it to the tank. It worked great for draining. Then I got a stainless bolt I don't remember what size, cut the hex head off, grinded the threads down to smooth and used that to make a plug in a rubber line. I'll be reinstalling the tank tomorrow Lord willing, and With the Lord's blessing it won't leak either!

20170206_210201.jpg

Back