Fuse box question 1978 NYB

imperialman

Reaction score
My question is How to get access to the fuses?
I read the FSM which states "The fuse box is located to the left of the steering column and is mounted on the lower instrument panel bottom edge"
"The relay bank is located directly above the fuse box . To remove ,LOWER FUSE BOX and pull bank from its mounting bracket."

My issue is that though I can get my hands on the relay bank-fuse box, both don't seem solidly attached under the dash as they move around quite a bit. Is this normal? I have pulled this box down, moved it to the right, with no luck.
What am I missing here besides affirming my head is too fat to fit under the dash...

First, if you are going to do much under the dash, pull the front seat. It makes things so much easier. If you have a lift, I've run the car up a few feet on mine so I can stand beside the car and lean in.

It's tight under there and they didn't exactly give a lot of slack in the wires, so I can't help you with an easy way to get to the relay bank. Sorry...

The fuse block is clipped to the firewall. See the top right corner (best pic I could find). There is a clip there and at the oposite corner. This is often not clipped... It can be hard to get it in place and pushed in far enough to clip it, so a lot of guys just leave it hanging.

1687099836096.jpeg

Success almost! Pushing upward until I felt a “click “ then pulling down brought the fuses into sight. Thanks for the advice. I pulled and visually checked every fuse . They looked good to me as not being burned through at their middle. The problem I’m chasing is a loss of dash lighting and tail/ parking lights.

IMG_1092.jpeg

Good Morning
Check the fuses with a multi-meter. They are not always obvious when they fail.
Omni

Back