Glut of Unsold Cars Pushes Fiat Chrysler Into Bargain Mode

they extended Power Dollars on 2019's through Jan as well. Cheap Hellcats and Scat Packs everywhere!!! Doesn't apply to the new 2020 widebodys though.

This happens often even outside vehicle manufacturing.

Acme Mfg. has a plant the can produce 1,000 widgets per year when running at full capacity.
Running at full capacity is the most efficient way to manufacture.
Past, current, and future sale are 500 widgets per year.
Run the plant at full capacity to most economically produce a thousand widgets.
Shut down 100% until inventory runs low.
Open up the line and crank out another 1,000 widgets.

I read a Manufacturing Engineering book once....

Acme Mfg. has a plant the can produce 1,000 widgets per year when running at full capacity.

You mean this Acme mfg?
image000000_07.png

A great plan, but has a real problem if you shut down longer than the workers can sit on their collective butts waiting to return to work. My guess is two weeks is the limit before the work force wanders off. The really good workers are in demand and they disappear first. A better solution is downsize the plant so that wide open product output more or less equals the demand.

A great plan, but has a real problem if you shut down longer than the workers can sit on their collective butts waiting to return to work. My guess is two weeks is the limit before the work force wanders off. The really good workers are in demand and they disappear first. A better solution is downsize the plant so that wide open product output more or less equals the demand.
But you're applying logic, Bill. Not allowed.

Comes down to corporate greed. "I changed some things around over at Chrysler and now I would like to do that for you guys". Make the books look good for your time there and move on to the next company not worrying about the mess in your wake.
I'm not saying all corporate executives are this way, but some azzholes are continuing to sell this B.S.

I believe they are paying them enough in those geographical areas to keep them around for awhile. Besides, they can collect unemployment benefits while they are on vacation....I mean layoff.

also, while less extensive now, things like the job bank keep people around even when idled.

I believe they are paying them enough in those geographical areas to keep them around for awhile. Besides, they can collect unemployment benefits while they are on vacation....I mean layoff.

also, while less extensive now, things like the job bank keep people around even when idled.

All true, but the really skilled seldom stick around and they are usually high on the head hunter's list.

Working at the Proving Ground.....

I was a Mission Support Supervisor so not only did I have to run my tests but I was also the supervisor for all of the associated people connected my tests. Drivers, engineers, mechanics, data collectors, test course personnel and on and on. Anyways, they have a huge building that they conduct all the performance testing. So while the engineers are hooking up all of the test equipment which could take a week or longer the performance driver would be camped under these huge trees in lawn chairs claiming they are waiting on their test vehicle. I called these guys the tree people. So each test director had his own and sometimes multiple performance drivers. These guys would work 60 hours a week or more and not drive a tenth of mile during the entire week. So as I'm driving by and seeing them sitting under the tree in lawn chairs and I circle back around and ask them what they are working on. They would say they are waiting..... So I told them that this **** is going to stop and be ready for some big changes. They laughed at me and said it's been this way for years and you're not going to be able to change ****. I huddled up my government counterparts and told them I'm changing the way we are doing performance testing. So I took on average 3 separate tests and assigned 1 driver to all 3 tests. There was never more than 1 of the 3 tests ready to run at any given time. So when a driver was done with one test the next one was ready. Guess what.....no more tree people sitting under the trees. So they went whining to their government test directors and the test directors came screaming at me. They didn't care if they paid a driver 60 hours a week as long as he was available when his test vehicle hit the track. So I had to calm these guys down and explain what I was doing and we wouldn't be charging their job order JONO unless the person was actually working on his test. I told the government folks if my plan didn't work out in 3 months we will go back to the tree people BS and I'll never bother them again. Guess what....it worked and they still use my plan. We saved millions and millions of tax dollars and virtually eliminated all overtime except for special missions. The tree people ended up liking my plan too because it kept them busy during the work week.

Unless the union is involved. Especially the UAW. All depends on the agreement.

Back