Hemi Valve cover Identification assistance needed!

Camshaft

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gents: Going through my garage so I can get some room set aside for a boat restoration, now that the rag top is almost done. Way back in the recess behind my work bench, I found an orange plastic bag with a set of hemi valve covers in it. I remember getting them in the trunk of an old race car I bought some 30 years ago. They have dual breathers on each one, painted dog **** brown with a brush and no discernible markings or numbers. Nothing else, no plug tubes or anything. Anyone assist with ID of what these are? Probably become wall art in my shop but like to know what the heck they are! As usual, appreciate any information you can provide.

Cam (shaft)

IMG_0108[1].JPG

They are probably not stock valve covers. The factory ones only have one breather port per side and they have a wire loom spotwelded on to hold the plug wires. I suppose someone could have also ground off the loom and added the ports. More likely these are after market units as the dual breather setup was a common modification for blower equipped race engines. 426 covers from the factory did not have any script embossed on them but neither did a lot of the after market covers. A pristine set of factory 426 valve covers is a high dollar item these days, starting at about $750.

Dave

They are early hemi for sure. Not later 426 covers.
You will have to measure the length of the cover to determine if they are Dodge, Desoto, or Chrysler. They are all different lengths.
Dodge and Chrysler covers came either plain or with embossed letters. Desoto covers were all plain.
Most likely stock covers that simply had an extra breather tube welded into them. But they are also missing the wire cover hold down pieces so possibly an aftermarket item.

Once you have the length, a simple internet search will tell you what they are.

50‘s engines, added breather pipes, factory VC’s don’t have any, they fill pipe & breather is in the valley pan.

A 392 Chrysler is 16.5” apart on the top row of studs. Dodge and Desoto will be different.

A 426 had 10 fasteners, early hemi has 6

7D225444-B523-4C25-83D9-9FEB2B602D2C.jpeg

37A9FAF8-706F-4E05-B906-1F0231A31BD0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for that gentlemen. These have 6 fasteners and measure 16.5 " between them and upon closer inspection, it looks like 3 of the breather pipes were welded on to the cover, as the holes through the valve covers are not cleanly done (and neither is the welding" The old street racer I yanked out of a barn had a 392 hemi with chrome Chrysler valve covers, IIRC. Looked a lot nicer than these to be sure. Cam (shaft)

Back