Hey Big Blue...

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
In case you don't find your steering wheel, try DIY.:toothy6:
I think I've got it pretty well perfected (finally) using Home Depot stuff.
Give it a shot...

ornv52.jpg

Hey NYB, one of us needs to paint our car so Commando1 stops mixing us up. :) I have the cracked armrests.

Commando, what did you use to fill the cracks? did you paint it after? I model as a hobby and use a two part modelling putty called Green Stuff. Sticks to styrene and plastics well, is easy to work with, and hardens like a rock. Some Green stuff, sanding and painting would likely do the trick.

Hey NYB, one of us needs to paint our car so Commando1 stops mixing us up. :) I have the cracked armrests.

Commando, what did you use to fill the cracks? did you paint it after? I model as a hobby and use a two part modelling putty called Green Stuff. Sticks to styrene and plastics well, is easy to work with, and hardens like a rock. Some Green stuff, sanding and painting would likely do the trick.

Sorry. You all look alike. LMAO!!!
So who was it that was looking for a steering wheel??

1. Permatex 25909 Liquid Metal Filler and 120 grit sand. Twice before I tried various 2 part
epoxies. They all sucked. I loved the Permatex.

2. Bondo Glazing Spot putty and 220 grit sand

3. Filling primer and 400 grit sand

4. Sanding primer and 600 grit sand

5. Final primer and 1,000 grit sand

6. 3 coats Krylon (burgundy was an exact match in my case)

7. 100 gazzilion coats Krylon Clear Gloss

Now: The hard part that I have finally figured what to do with the chrome inlay that goes around the wheel.
It's molded in so you you to spend a lot of time digging it out CAREFULLY until you get a smooth clean grove.
After the base coat and before the clear coat, cement into the grove a chrome like vinyl lacing (we used to call it Gimp) you buy at a crafts store. You know, the stuff the kids make lariots out of. There's a zillion collors.

Do you by chance have a before picture of the wheel?

No, but it had the usual humongous cracks where the spokes met the wheel plus some others scattered around.

Last edited:
Back