Hood insulation

TNT440

Reaction score
Just finishing up restoration of my 71 New Yorker. I need a hood insulation pad. Anyone know where I can get one?

For more discussion, see this thread: Repro Hood Pad?

There is also good info in this older yet eponymous thread: hood insulation

@sixpkrt has direct experience with the pad that he bought from Van's. See here for the start of his discussion -- he has a 1971 NYer as well.

Last edited:
I have bought 2 of those molded pictured pads (don't recall mfg) they are junk they do not last .The ones i bought said fit years 65 to 68 and have multiple mounting points but the holes are not punched all the way through you have to select the ones that line up with the holes in your hood some are just a tad off when you try to enlarge/stretch the hole the pad tears and leads to pad coming apart over time from the engine heat. I purchased a true molded 1 piece fiberglass pad from Quierly Design @ 814-509-6410 and picked it up @ Carlise it was twice the cost but should last forever.

I have bought 2 of those molded pictured pads (don't recall mfg) they are junk they do not last .The ones i bought said fit years 65 to 68 and have multiple mounting points but the holes are not punched all the way through you have to select the ones that line up with the holes in your hood some are just a tad off when you try to enlarge/stretch the hole the pad tears and leads to pad coming apart over time from the engine heat. I purchased a true molded 1 piece fiberglass pad from Quierly Design @ 814-509-6410 and picked it up @ Carlise it was twice the cost but should last forever.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Links would be helpful as not all molded pads are the same / made by the same manufacturer. Knowing which ones you’d now avoid would be good info.

i forget where i bought the first one i will have to look through my records. The second one i bought from a member here who had a extra he was selling that he did not need it had no markings as to a manufacturer on it except for a label as to what cars it fit.

Mrmoparts has the insulation listed for $32 in the "under the hood" section too.

I am looking to redo the hood insulation in my ‘68 300. Is there any advantages to using the molded insulation over the fiberglass one? There seems to be a big gap in price for the different products (not to mention the shipping). But I am willing to pay more if there is a performance advantage of the molded one.
TIA,
Dean

I am looking to redo the hood insulation in my ‘68 300. Is there any advantages to using the molded insulation over the fiberglass one? There seems to be a big gap in price for the different products (not to mention the shipping). But I am willing to pay more if there is a performance advantage of the molded one.
TIA,
Dean

Back