How to Install Fan Shroud Bracket Cage Nuts

Reaction score
I have a 1967 300 (440, no A/C, original 22" radiator) that was not factory-equipped with a fan shroud. I bought a shroud and bracket kit from Dante's:

My question is, how do I install the cage nuts in the four rectangular holes on the sides of the radiator? How should they be oriented? Anyone have a photo they can share. Thanks in advance.

This is a cage nut.
1691156212592.png

because I lived in se Wisc I was able to drive up to Glen-Ray radiator and have them install mine, there is a trick to it, perhaps give them a call and see if their willing to pass on the method

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. Looking for a photo of a radiator with the cage nuts mounted in the two holes on either side of the radiator. The cage nuts in the kit have a protruding ear on two opposite sides.

Do the ears go inside or outside the hole? Oriented top and bottom, or left and right?

When you hold the shroud up against the radiator is there a space for the nut to be between the shroud and the radiator?

A couple of pictures would be extremely helpful. The side of the shroud that goes against the radiator and the area of the radiator where the nut goes.

If the hole is rectangular you want the clip to slide along the rectangle. The clip goes on the back side of the bracket it is attached to.

My radiators use different clips or have studs, I have used these clips elsewhere.
I have put them in by hooking one side and using a screwdriver to push the other side in. Access to the back side may impact how. Maybe but a bolt in it to help hold it while you manipulate the clip.

Alan

Here are photos of two of the cage nuts. They go in the rectangular holes near the middle of the radiator shown in the radiator photos. Shown is the pax side, but the driver's side of the radiator is identical. Also included is a photo of the bracket that bolts to shroud and radiator. The "ears" on the cage nuts are too long to fit through the hole in the side of the radiator. Do I bend them some to get them in?

tempImageF2rvNe.png

tempImage7MoJsY.png

tempImagejux7KC.png

tempImagebya2dn.png

tempImagei4S2iU.png

tempImageVrTHeW.png

Thanks, Alan. I thought that might be the case but was holding out hope.
My 68 has the factory 22” radiator. I tracked down the proper metal shroud for it and my restoration mechanic installed it. Here is what mine looks like on the passenger side.

It looks like they used a plastic insert that they were able to then bolt the bracket too.

1691330216553.jpeg

1691330242112.jpeg

1691330280034.jpeg

1691330308852.jpeg

Hope these help!

SGVert

I'd look at a plastic license plate fastener. I'd bet it's close enough in size to pop in there and hold the shroud.

1691331271529.png

Those nuts were installed prior to the assembly of the side panels of the radiator.

I bent the ears on mine a tad and squeezed them in the holes corner wise, then pressed the cage nuts down to straighten the ears against the body of the rad. Worked fine.

Guys, its NOT that HARD to pop the cage nuts into that little frame, even when it's already soldered/brazed down to the core. I used one of my needlenose pliers to hold the cage nut behind the frame, threaded in a 1/4-20 bolt, then carefully pulled the cage nut by this bolt while wiggling it into place until it snapped down well. I then bolted on the shroud, with no further trouble. The radiator came from a 65 Fury, and needed 2 cage nuts, having 2 still in it. Just make sure your bolts aren't too long, to avoid damaging that fragile copper core.

Those nuts were installed prior to the assembly of the side panels of the radiator.

I bent the ears on mine a tad and squeezed them in the holes corner wise, then pressed the cage nuts down to straighten the ears against the body of the rad. Worked fine.

EZPZ wasn't it?

I tried bending an ear on one of the cage nuts, but it broke off when I straightened it back out. Went to the local NAPA and got the five-finger discount on four snap-in license plate nuts. Showed the guy behind the counter under the hood so he could see what I was looking to do, and I guess he enjoyed the view or felt sorry enough for me that he just gave me the nuts.

I tried bending an ear on one of the cage nuts, but it broke off when I straightened it back out. Went to the local NAPA and got the five-finger discount on four snap-in license plate nuts. Showed the guy behind the counter under the hood so he could see what I was looking to do, and I guess he enjoyed the view or felt sorry enough for me that he just gave me the nuts.
Those nylon inserts should do alright. I busted one ear off a cage nut too, but had scavenged another. With care, one can use several doo-dads to bolt on that shroud. Since the outer frame popped off one of my 2 venerable 1965 Mopar radiators, I plan to attach some sturdier 1/4-20 threaded BAR to that inner surface, which will distribute the strain over the whole length of the frame. If you're a dab hand w a torch, then you can remove the frame, modify it, then braze it back on, taking care not to botch the solder on the copper core. While I LOVE the superior conductivity of copper radiators, I'm reminded that aluminum is stronger and lighter metal. Since I can't weld aluminum though, I'm confined to copper and iron for any DIY activity....

BTW Gerald, I used to live in Tucson in the mid-90's and met my wife there; I was stationed at DMAFB. My father-in-law still lives there. We go to Eegee's every time we go back to visit. Plus Tucson has the best Mexican food I've ever had. And since I know how hot Tucson and Phoenix get (I lived in Phoenix for 12 years), I take what you have to say about engine cooling very seriously. Appreciate your tips.

Back