Info Request: Concave vs. Convex Rear Window [INnie vs. an OUTey]

Not Right

Reaction score
I'm a Slab Sider. I'm trying to figure out if only certain Fury Models of 1970/1971 came with the Concave Glass and/or the Convex Glass. In looking at the 1971 Sales Brochure, I note the difference in sheet metal for the rear of the roof and how the shape of the glass and the shape of the metal create two completely different designs. What I can't figure out is is this; when looking at the brochure, some Fury III's have the Concave while others have the Convex, The Fury Brougham has a Concave (and is noted as The Formal Roof)....and then some Sport Furys have the Concave, while other Sport Furys have the Convex....then I look at the options list and find nothing regarding the rear window style desired.....then I read through everything on the brochure and see absolutely no mention of the topic either. It just seems hap-hazard to me because I haven't figured it out yet and don't understand it. Another perplexation is the availability of not only a Two Door Sport Fury, but a Four Door Sport Fury as well! So, first off,

1) What are the proper names for each of the two styles? Next,
2) Were they options?
3) If so, A)in FuryIII/Brougham Two Door? B)in FuryIII/Brougham Four Door? C)in Sport Fury Two Door? D)in Sport Fury Four Door?........oh, and heck, let's not forget E)the Sport Fury GT.
4)Does the assignment of the Roof/Back Glass design get noted in the Build Sheet? ...
5)Or the Fender Tag?...
6)Or even in the VIN under the Body Style digits?

You Fuselage Guys are beyond my pay-grade, so I'm depending on you to splain all this to me. (...or direct me to a past post that explains Plymouth's version of the Rubik's Cube) Thanks, Not Right.

I'm a Slab Sider. I'm trying to figure out if only certain Fury Models of 1970/1971 came with the Concave Glass and/or the Convex Glass. In looking at the 1971 Sales Brochure, I note the difference in sheet metal for the rear of the roof and how the shape of the glass and the shape of the metal create two completely different designs. What I can't figure out is is this; when looking at the brochure, some Fury III's have the Concave while others have the Convex, The Fury Brougham has a Concave (and is noted as The Formal Roof)....and then some Sport Furys have the Concave, while other Sport Furys have the Convex....then I look at the options list and find nothing regarding the rear window style desired.....then I read through everything on the brochure and see absolutely no mention of the topic either. It just seems hap-hazard to me because I haven't figured it out yet and don't understand it. Another perplexation is the availability of not only a Two Door Sport Fury, but a Four Door Sport Fury as well! So, first off,

1) What are the proper names for each of the two styles? Next,
2) Were they options?
3) If so, A)in FuryIII/Brougham Two Door? B)in FuryIII/Brougham Four Door? C)in Sport Fury Two Door? D)in Sport Fury Four Door?........oh, and heck, let's not forget E)the Sport Fury GT.
4)Does the assignment of the Roof/Back Glass design get noted in the Build Sheet? ...
5)Or the Fender Tag?...
6)Or even in the VIN under the Body Style digits?

You Fuselage Guys are beyond my pay-grade, so I'm depending on you to splain all this to me. (...or direct me to a past post that explains Plymouth's version of the Rubik's Cube) Thanks, Not Right.

On 2 Door '70 & '71 Plymouth Fury III and Sport Fury Models, excluding the GT's) you had your choice of roof styles, 23 for the outie and 29 for the innie. Gran Coupes and 4 Door Hardtop's always had the innie rear window.

Brougham is an interior upgrade package that was available on Fury III's, Sport Furys, Custom Suburban and Sport Suburban wagons. With the Brougham package you got a 50/50 front seat with an arm rest for the driver and passenger, a 6-way power driver's seat and a reclining passenger seat as well as other interior upgrades.

The VIN, which is also on the Fender Tag and the Build Sheet lists the VIN. A Vin starting with PM23 would be a Fury III 2 door with the outie rear window and a PH29 would be a Sport Fury 2 door with the innie rear window.

Things can be confusing since '67 & '68 Fury's used the 29 body code for the Fast Top body style.

Man-o-man....thank you Sir. So, [TAKEAWAY #1 -23 and 43 for the Outies ...and... 29 and 49? for the Innies....would that be right?] Or, [TAKE AWAY #2 -since all Four Door Hardtops had Innies, they just kept using the 43? And since it was only a Two Door that had the option of either roof style, this is where the 23 or 29 is used.] (??? I think I'm getting it....and there's no such thing as a 49, right?) How about Sedans? Did they only come with Outies? And Broughams don't even enter into this equation, got it. And Gran Coupes? My head is starting to hurt now...Gran Coupe...= VIP?

Thanks FuryGT (speaking of which...Sport Fury GT....the famous S23 designation....always an Outie?) Close Sesame. -Not Right

I believe sedans were 45. No 49. The VIP was to compete with the Caprice and had 4 year run. The Gran Coupe was a dressed up Fury II in ‘70 and essentially a dressed up Fury III in 1971. S/23’s we’re always outies.

Now that you have that Fuselage 2dr subject mastered, go into www.hamtramck-historical and look in the '66 Chrysler order guide and note the THREE 2-dr hardtop roofs on '66 Chryslers. Which were model-specific. Then ease up into the '67 Chrysler order guide for those roofs, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Well Fury GT, you're right, it does get kind of confusing but I understand a whole lot better now that you've imparted some of your knowledge to me. If I was still a kid, I'd soak all of this up without even noticing that I was learning something. However, now that my brain is fossilizing, it will take some intense studying, some paper charts on the wall, and an investment in Prevagine.

And from Furious 70 , I'm gathering that the Innies are the more preferred Roof Style with the exception of the S/23 Factor.

And CBODY67, you old Slabster you, having pointed out that the 70/71 Roof Style Options that had perplexed me, are nothing new to the world of C Bodies and there are other examples of these options going back further in time. My world keeps broadening.

I know 68 Furys, for sure....and that is all that I am willing to claim. In everything else, I remain humbled and student-like.

Thanks to all of you guys. Grasshopper out!

So to sum it up, for 1969 to 1971:

Four-door hardops had the 43 body style designation and were "innies".

Four-door sedans had the 41 body style designation and were "outies".

Two-door hardtops as "innies" had the 29 body style designation.

Two-door hardtops as "outies" had the 23 body style designation.

Although quite rare, there were also two-door sedans (21 body style). These were "innies" in 1969 and 1970 and "outies" in 1971.

And from Furious 70 , I'm gathering that the Innies are the more preferred Roof Style with the exception of the S/23 Factor.
Well, it's rather a matter of personal taste ...
Personally, I prefer the "Outies" over the "Innies".
I have a '70 Sport Fury PH23.

MORE diversity than we ever expected from staid, old Chrysler Corp back then, it seems.

Wonder WHOM in the Chrysler organization was in charge of these things? Might have related to who thought which one was going to be the most popular and then ordered the building of parts? THEN wondering if they made the right choices!

OR if it had to do with Chevrolet marketing of the time? There was a concave back glass 2dr ht on Impalas and Caprices back then, too. Very little space between the back window and the top of the rear seat back. Just barely space for two rear speakers! More intimate, when that meant "luxury" of sorts.

Or was it that the more squared-off C-pillar design was an allusion to luxury (innie) and the more fastback (outie) was more sporty? Proving the PLYMOUTH could cover ALL BASES, as Chevrolet and GM did.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

To CEEBODY, It would have taken me a week or more to come up with any sort of summary. You did it in a snap. Perfectly logical and understandable, and thorough with the inclusion of the 21 notation. ....All I had to do was to press the Print Button! Thank you very much!

To Chrome 58, I completely understand. The important thing is that you love your Plymouth, innie or outie. I have both innies and outies in my barn, and I love them all the same!

To CBODY67, Apparently not only the Minds at Minolta had many ideas. Chrysler Corp, as well as most of the other manufacturers of that time seemed to have so much free reign and elbow room to actually be creative and then, most importantly, put into production their wide array of variants of a particular model line. Today, every body gets a cardboard box with racing stripes. It was a great era and we all seem to miss it very much.

Well, I'm off to Erie, Pa to pick up another load of aluminum wheels for the Volvo Truck Plant, down here in SW Va.. Yall be good and I'll see you after a while. Thanks to everyone for your positive communications. -Not Right

MORE diversity than we ever expected from staid, old Chrysler Corp back then, it seems.

Wonder WHOM in the Chrysler organization was in charge of these things? Might have related to who thought which one was going to be the most popular and then ordered the building of parts? THEN wondering if they made the right choices!

OR if it had to do with Chevrolet marketing of the time? There was a concave back glass 2dr ht on Impalas and Caprices back then, too. Very little space between the back window and the top of the rear seat back. Just barely space for two rear speakers! More intimate, when that meant "luxury" of sorts.

Or was it that the more squared-off C-pillar design was an allusion to luxury (innie) and the more fastback (outie) was more sporty? Proving the PLYMOUTH could cover ALL BASES, as Chevrolet and GM did.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I think there was a tradition of offering two different rooflines for Furys in previous years. The competition might have started it, with the "formal" look of the 1966 Chevy Caprice Custom Coupe.

The 29 style roof sheetmetal is identical to the 43 style roof shetmetal, so all Plymouth had to come up with were specific quarter panels and voilà, confuse us decades later :D

Last edited:
There is a war that rages between us innies and those outies!

I've always liked the flying sail panels because they are similar to a Charger roofline.

To CEEBODY, It would have taken me a week or more to come up with any sort of summary. You did it in a snap. Perfectly logical and understandable, and thorough with the inclusion of the 21 notation. ....All I had to do was to press the Print Button! Thank you very much!

To Chrome 58, I completely understand. The important thing is that you love your Plymouth, innie or outie. I have both innies and outies in my barn, and I love them all the same!

To CBODY67, Apparently not only the Minds at Minolta had many ideas. Chrysler Corp, as well as most of the other manufacturers of that time seemed to have so much free reign and elbow room to actually be creative and then, most importantly, put into production their wide array of variants of a particular model line. Today, every body gets a cardboard box with racing stripes. It was a great era and we all seem to miss it very much.

Well, I'm off to Erie, Pa to pick up another load of aluminum wheels for the Volvo Truck Plant, down here in SW Va.. Yall be good and I'll see you after a while. Thanks to everyone for your positive communications. -Not Right
You are just over 2 hours from me. If you ever find yourself in the Lake Norman or greater Charlotte areas, let me know.

Oh, uh,.......just one more thing...The Formal Roof; is it an INnie or and OUTie?.....and what is the other style of window known as? (if it even has a name, Coupe', Standard, etc.)
Thanks.

Oh, uh,.......just one more thing...The Formal Roof; is it an INnie or and OUTie?.....and what is the other style of window known as? (if it even has a name, Coupe', Standard, etc.)
Thanks.

Yes, the formal roof is the "innie" roof.

I am not aware of a particular name for the regular two-door hardtop roofline.

Something I've always been curious about -
Is the Formal 29-roof's rear glass the same as mid-70s A-body 4dr sedan?
I presume not, as the Fusey is so much bigger, but the shape is comparable.

Something I've always been curious about -
Is the Formal 29-roof's rear glass the same as mid-70s A-body 4dr sedan?
I presume not, as the Fusey is so much bigger, but the shape is comparable.
I gather your question is "Are the Back Glasses (The Concave style) for the Fury and the A Body interchangable?" I'm going to bet the Farm AND MY NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE TOO, that they are Not.

Back