LCAs, hood insulation and rear seat

pgadler

Reaction score
My daily driver (during summer), Newport Customer '68 2d HT, is constantly getting small improvements. I have three to-do items where I need Your expertise.

My car has the disc brake option with Budd brakes. I have invested in new rotors, rebuilt lower ball joints/knuckle arms etc. When rebuilding the front end, one lower control arm was cracked. I have welded it and it keeps together, but I don't think I got it perfectly straightened and would like to replace it.

So, first question, is the LCA the same for drum and disc brake cars?

Secondly, I bought new seat covers for my rear seat from Legandary. Upon arrival, it turned out to be the wrong type. The provided cover had the pattern and shape for rear seats where the backrest is lower in the middle and has a top moulding (plastic?). In the middle of the moulding, I e the 300-model has a "300"-sign.

But my car has a straight backrest, not lower in the middle, no moulding or sign. Legendary responed that the had never seen such backrest or pattern. So, either I have a cover made locally or swap rear seat to one with a backrest that's lower in the middle.

So, second question, are the rear seats (with lower middle backrest) identical in shape for Newport/300/NewYorker, and even 2 door/4 door? It would simplify finding a donor car...

Lastly, much is original, not much missing, but there is no trace of hood insulation. I found moulded reproduction on eBay, but the supplier does not ship internationally, does not have a reseller in Europe and points out that the item is oversize and fragile. Only a friend with space in a container by boat would solve that.

So, last question, suggestions on hood insulation? Recommentation of new material, do You think it is likely to find a usable item on a donor car, or are all crap?

Thank's for You patience!

Patrik/Sweden

The 2 doors models - Newport/New Yorker/300 all have the lower middle on the rear seat. The sedan seats are flat across the top.
You have a 4 door rear seat in your 2 door car.
You can get a donor rear seat from a 2 door 67-68 Newport, New Yorker, or a 300. The frames are the same. The upholstery is different but it won't matter since you are recovering it anyway.

The 2 doors models - Newport/New Yorker/300 all have the lower middle on the rear seat. The sedan seats are flat across the top.
You can get a donor rear seat from a 2 door 67-68 Newport, New Yorker, or a 300. The frames are the same. The upholstery is different but it won't matter since you are recovering it anyway.

How simple the truth can be.... So much for originality. Seems likely to be a front bench from a 4-door also, it has the same pattern as the old cover on the rear seat.

Sry, I did some Youtube "investigation". Are You sure?

This '67 2d HT has the same kind of backrest (different cover though) that I have:

https://youtu.be/ku5mcP3w-04

Nontheless, I havn't seen a 4d with the low middle, so a donor seat from a 4d is a no go, it seems.

If the Newport had bucket fronts, it had the "bucket" rears i.e. with the dip in the middle
If the Newport hada bench front, it had the "bench" rear i.e. no dip in the middle.
There was no "mix 'n match" from the factory. One or the other, thank you very much.

Legendary only has the bucket upholstery listed for the 68 Chrysler 300.
If you want bench upholstery for your Newport, check their catalog to see if they show any bench seat upholstery for any 67/68 Fury, Polara, Monaco, Newport, 300, or New Yorker.
The patterns won't be the same but the colors will be correct and it will fit.

Legendary shows no upholstery for my 67 Newport with buckets. I'll make do with the ones they show for the 68 300 when that day comes. Close enough to all but the most extreme anal retention OCDs.

If you swap out the rear bench for the rear bucket style, you will also have to score that unique trim that covers the dip. A presentable one is extremely difficult to find.
Oh. And the emblem for that trim, too...

Buckets were available for the 4 door so that 4 Dr rear seat with the dip should be out there.

Part2-15.jpg

Thanks, Stan! I've owned 4 Fast tops, and 4 sedans over the years. My Fast tops all had buckets seats and the sedans all had bench seats so that's where I mixed it up. I forgot about front bench seats in a 2 door.

Legendary shows no upholstery for my 67 Newport with buckets.

First, super with Your response. Makes sense. But in answer to Legendary and no Newport bucket upholstery, I am fairly sure that that is what I ordered and got.

This is what I ordered (rear "bench" highlighted):

Rear bench Newport.jpg

But this is for '68. Is the pattern different for '67?

Rear bench Newport.jpg

First, super with Your response. Makes sense. But in answer to Legendary and no Newport bucket upholstery, I am fairly sure that that is what I ordered and got.

This is what I ordered (rear "bench" highlighted):

View attachment 60809

But this is for '68. Is the pattern different for '67?

The way I read that page, that is a rear bench seat for a bucket seat equipped car.

I have a '70 Imperial and a new hood insulation pad that came with my purchase. I took some photo's but have yet to master resizing them for this forum. I can answer questions about it though. It is mounted using factory spring clips or tabbed clips that go into factory 1/4" holes in the hood. The insulation is about 1" thick that will be compressed at the clip locations. It seems to be fiberglass backed with fabric on the engine side of the hood. It is custom cut for the hood but roughly 46"x42". PM me if you need pictures as they came out of my digital camera. One of these days I will take the time to learn the easy way to resize the pictures for forum use. I wish forum software would do this automatically as it is a PITA.

The bucket seats in my '67 Newport CE23 (2dr ht) ARE the same seat covers that were in the '67 300, but with Newport door and side trim. The "dip" in the rear seat back is there, too, but without the 300 logo. My car has the center cushion/armrest and a column shifter. In the service manual, in a small inset for the console picture, there is a block-off plate for the console shift "slot" if the console went in a column shift car. And, a Chrysler part number on it. Never seen that particular combination, or read of it, but it's in the service manual picture.

On many cars, but not generally Chrysler Corp cars, that rear seat grille was for a rear speaker. But it would provide for a rear speaker in a convertible. So, more "sporty" for it to be there with "sporty" bucket seat models. There were usually two rear speaker areas in the sedans and hardtops.

Bucket seats were standard in the 300s, 2dr and 4dr. You can probably bolt-in a 4dr front bench seat into a 2dr car, but you'd have to crawl over the seat to get into the back seat (solid seat back and all).

Legendary, and others, usually go more for the bucket seat Mopars, it seems, first, then adds the bench seat models if demand warrants.

CBODY67

Is your insulator embossed (as the orig production item) or is it "cut roll goods", cut to shape? The embossing would coincide with the hood support braces and such . . . and totally black in color. The "roll goods" would be completely flat, with the "thick" part being yellow and the "fabric" being black?

Just curious.
CBODY67

Back