Manual drum to disc conversion

Split out your single pot master cylinder, it's just safer, for you and me.
Run the rear reservoir to the front brakes and the front reservoir to the rear brakes. Rear reservoir for disc brake master cylinder has more fluid. That's it, no magic pistons or voodoo to work disc calipers.
Unless your a woman or 98 pound weakling converting to power brakes is stupidity. Less controllable, slower acting, they do not make your brakes more powerful, it makes it easier to push the pedal. If you currently have power brake I would not convert to manual. Too much work for little gain.
You could make the argument that, if you stomp the pedal with both feet generating let's say 200 pounds of pressure on the pedal.
Manual brake pedal is 6:1 so you now have 1200 pounds on push rod.
Power brake pedal is 2:1 so now you have 400 pounds on push rod, but booster let's say increases pressure on the master cylinder side 4 times. That would give 1600 pounds on master cylinder.
More right?
Normal brake system will lock at less than 1000# either way you have all four wheels locked. Now your rate of deceleration is determined by your tires. Hope you went with the wider/and bigger diameter ones.

I think you’re missing my point.

I bet these were all disc brake cars.
No, I didn't miss your point.
You said ANY new car stops better than ANY classic disc-brake car. I simply disagreed with that, and provided a reason why I disagreed.
My car stops better, and more times in a row, than it ever did with drums. Disc brakes made a significant improvement.
I never said, or even suggested, that I now drive like a madman because my brakes make me invincible.

As for all the stories you mentioned, those involved drivers that were paying attention and driving carefully, so the brakes aren't the deciding factor.

As for all those wrecked cars - what in the world do any of those pictures show about the situation leading up to the accident or the capability of the brakes?

No, I didn't miss your point.
You said ANY new car stops better than ANY classic disc-brake car. I simply disagreed with that, and provided a reason why I disagreed.
My car stops better, and more times in a row, than it ever did with drums. Disc brakes made a significant improvement.
I never said, or even suggested, that I now drive like a madman because my brakes make me invincible.

As for all the stories you mentioned, those involved drivers that were paying attention and driving carefully, so the brakes aren't the deciding factor.

As for all those wrecked cars - what in the world do any of those pictures show about the situation leading up to the accident or the capability of the brakes?
Ok then never mind.

Back