Manual to Power Brakes

mgm1986

Reaction score
I read through all of the disc brake conversion threads I could find. The thread by Saylor on the ECI C-body brake kit was hugely helpful and I am waiting to hear back from Ralph at ECI on when I can get the parts.

The first thing he made clear though, ECI doesn't do power brake conversions. So my plan is to convert to front Disc's using the ECI conversion then follow that up with an upgrade to power brakes later. He agreed this plan works fine with the parts they provide.

So, where do I start to gather info on the upgrade from manual to power brakes? He made it sound like their are differences in the firewall mount and the pedal assembly itself. I though I could just buy the booster and it would mount right up! Wishful thinking it seems.

There is a difference in ratio of the pedal. The manual brakes have a different pivot point to allow better mechanical advantage.

I can't tell you what is the correct pedal or parts for your C body are though. Sorry.

There is a difference in ratio of the pedal. The manual brakes have a different pivot point to allow better mechanical advantage.

I can't tell you what is the correct pedal or parts for your C body are though. Sorry.

Thanks, Big John!

I will check my parts manual to find out the difference. I just hung up with the folks over at SSBC and he was adamant their kit includes EVERYTHING to go from manual drums to power front discs and there was no difference in the brake pedal. But then he said 2-3 weeks turnaround which stinks cause I have next week off!

Anybody have input on where I could get the power booster/MC assembly to pair with the ECI kit?

Sorry if this posts twice. The ssbc people are awful to deal with. Nice set up tho. They told me they didn't have a booster for me and a regular one from the drum brakes would work. It doesn't. I saw on another board needed the dual diaphragm booster from 67-68 and that worked with my 68 300. However caution may have clearance issues with column shift cars. I bought the rear from performance on line. Was a real pain in the butt. Easy job but dealing with ssbc not knowing their own stuff made it difficult. Also they sent me 2 bad master cylinders and the wrong rotors. Mc cyl 73-76 monico can get at any auto parts store for 20.00.

image.jpg

I have SSBS on a 67 b body and the conversion was a pain. I would have gone through mancini racing and used mopar parts from a Monaco or diplomat.... not to sure about c body cars but if you have to fabricate anyways at least the mopar stuff will look more correct. SSBS instructions didn't mention a lot of things like having a hole in the fire wall from the booster mounted on brackets the kit was not worth the money and it would have been cheaper to go with mopar stuff in the long run. The ram man has videos on u tube that were berry good had I known before.....

ECI kit has done me good. the guy that changed out my LCA bushings and ball joints and stuff asked me why I had $600 brakes on a 3 dollar car. damn.

Thanks, all! I am going to follow up with ECI and will add a power booster down the road. I found the rear drums are shot and the shoes appear fine so I'm hoping to swap the drums from the '67 parts car. Also found a stripped stud on the rear that I will need to correct. New wheels and tires should be here by weeks end.

I love this forum, so helpful. You all rock!!

so are ya converted? still manual but disc? power disc ? what happened?

Nothing has actually physically happened...yet, just gathering info at this point. It's gonna take ECI 3 weeks or so to get me the kit and I'm hoping to get it ordered by weeks end. I just got the VM they left me today to let me know hubs are on back order. I'm on vacation this week and my current project is the intake manifold gasket which should wrap up tomorrow with any luck. Then I need to replace the stripped stud in the rear end and get the drums replaced in the rear. A little luck and the parts car can help me out with that.

what kinda car is this going on ? ralph@ ECI is the head dude over there I think - if it can be figured out those dudes will know how. so manual brakes you have no booster at all now right? I think you need at least a drum single booster to get enough watusi to push discs? I know ECI had me run with the single boost drum booster that was stock on my power drum car, and it pushes just fine, I didn't have to swap out to a dual diaphragm booster.

Yeah, Ralph really seems to know his stuff and he didn't have a recommendation on a booster setup. He is going to call me in 2-3 weeks when he has the hubs ready. You got it, manual drums all around.

I did just get new 15" wheels to prepare for the disc swap, that is exciting!

Back